How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Appliance Guru Your Own Question
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 13404
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Appliance Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Napoleon model BDG36CFG Crystallo, rear wall-vented,

This answer was rated:

I have a Napoleon model BDG36CFG Crystallo, rear wall-vented, when I turn the switch on, the pilot takes a long time to light, I can hear & see it sparking, but it can take up to two or three minutes to light, sometimes/ rarely it lights right away. After that it works fine. What could be the problem? I have a friend that has the same one, & it lights right away. I can see daylight through the chimney & feel a draft, could there be a baffle or something missing?
Hello and thank you for using this service,

You could have a leak in the gas line to the unit. When that happens the line is bled out overnight and then when you push the pilot it will take a long time to get gas to the pilot as the orifice is very small. Whenever this issue arises it is almost always a leak in one of the fittings to the gas valve or a leak in the valve itself. If the system is leak free this would never be an issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I have been without internet for the last 2 weeks, just fixed yesterday. This unit has an electronic ignition powered by a thermopile, what is puzzling is that it will sometimes light right away & even 2 or 3 times in a row, then on say the 4th try, it will spark continously without lighting for about 1 min., then the system goes into limp mode for 30 secs, then starts sparking again & just won't light, but you put a match to it & it lights right away, the unit is only 2 months old. If it was a gas leak why would it light right away after sitting for a couple of days? It's a hit or miss, about half the time it lights right away and if it doesn't, you almost always have to use a match. I once tried to light it for 1/2 an hour, & had to use a match.

Ok it sounds like you may not have a gas issue, but more of a spark issue. If the spark is not jumping correctly or is not sparking good that will happen. I would take it apart so you can see the spark. Check it to see if it is good and clean off the electrode and contact point where the spark jumps to, then try it. The spark may sometimes jump correctly then light right away and other s it may not
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just got my credit card statement & a charge for $30 to justanswer. I know I've had a lot of internet problems at my end, but the 2 responses you gave me did not resolve my issue at all! I assumed that I had to be happy with the answer before you would actually take my money, am I not correct?

I am sorry, the charge has nothing to do with me that is from the site. You can ask for a refund as I have received nothing at all.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here's what i know so far, the pilot light spark system is millivolt (thermopile), so when you turn the low voltage switch on it opens the gas to the pilot & starts the electronic spark which will spark until the pilot starts & after a few seconds the main burner turns on. The problem is that you can clearly see & hear it spark to the pilot hood & it will spark continuously for a minute,without lighting, then the spark will stop for about 10 secs then resume again. What's confusing is sometimes it will light right away, sometimes within the first minute, sometimes in the second cycle & sometimes you just have to use a match. This fireplace is only 4 mos. old.

First I have no issue continuing helping you, but can you please change my rating.
Appliance Guru and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you

Related Appliance Questions