Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

Fisher & Paykel double drawer dishwasher model # XXXXX

Customer Question

Fisher & Paykel double drawer dishwasher model # XXXXX Top drawer is stuck on wash cycle. Have tried all different wash cycles with same result. Only recourse is to turn it off and run the rinse cycle, which works fine.

No error message displayed but a few nights ago it was beep.... beep.... beeping incessantly. Didn't know it was the dishwasher (all my appliances have beeps of one sort or another). Beeping stopped when we flipped the circuit breaker for the dishwasher and didn't beep again when power resorted. Wash cycle problem started right after this.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

How long have you let the dishwasher run for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At least an hour if not more beyond the length of the cycle. I've tested all the cycles by setting my kitchen timer to the same length of time as the dishwasher so they count down together.

Ok it sounds like you are having a water heating problem. The dishwasher will shut off I guaranty it and fault out. Most likely you will see an f4 if it runs long enough. Lets try putting this dishwasher into diagnostics to see if it has any stored fault code. Press and hold the lock and the play button in at same time for 5 seconds. then press the power button. Do you have a f code displayed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just goes through 01h, 02h, 03h, etc up to 12h then back to showing time for length of wash cycle. No codes displayed.

If it was a water temp problem, why would the bottom drawer still work fine?

Its not the incoming water temp that is the problem. The dishwasher has a heater in it that heats the water up to 140 degrees. The incoming water temp should be 120. If the dishwasher is not able to heat the water up it continues to run and will finally fault out. Each drawer has it own control board and heater. I have never seen the element go bad on this model yet but have replaced the control board a lot for this problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, understand, but there is no error code being displayed. Is there a specific code for the heater?

F4 is a heater fault. I believe that you just haven't let the dishwasher run long enough to finally fault out. I see it take 4 hours before it will fault out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But we don't have any evidence that is the problem and you said you've never seen it on this model.

Thanks for your time. Don't feel like anything has been resolved.

I have never seen the heater fail but I have seen the control board fail on this model. The control board sends power to the element. When the control board fails it stops sending power to the element and then the water doesn't heat up. If this was my dishwasher. I would start the dishwasher and let it run until it faults out. I guaranty that it wont run forever and will fault out. If it faults out with an F$ replace the control board in the upper drawer.