gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs

I have a Kenmore Chest Freezer Model #(NNN) NNN-NNNN The temp

I have a Kenmore Chest Freezer Model #(NNN) NNN-NNNN The temp alarm went off and the freezer is 20 degress f. I hear a click every few minutes like it is trying to kick on but nothing else happens. Of course I can't find my owners manual, or one online. I took the side panel off and it is dusty in there. I was going to clean out and plug back in to see if that works but though I would try this site first, it has helped me out in the past. I haven't defrosted the freezer in about a year. I usually do this once a year and was about to.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for choosing this service.

based on your statement, this sounds like your start device is bad which is trying to start the compressor but can't seem to do so.

go around the left or right side, tell me if you can see an access panel where the thermostat control should be located?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already have it open

Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.
Okay, now can you hear the clicking sound coming from the compressor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it just clicks, hums for a few seconds then shuts off.

Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.
Okay great! unplug the freezer, there is a white device that is attached to the compressor with a few wires going to it, remove it then tell me if it has a burnt odor and if it rattles if you shake it around?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do you remove it. I took the snap wire off.

Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.
After that just wiggle it out, it will come right off the three pins.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No burnt smell, definite rattle and small bits of metal coming out when I shake it.

Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.

Okay great! so that right there is your problem, replace it and you are good to go. here is the part number for the Compressor starting device

NNN-NN-NNNNbr/>you can get it online at www.repairclnic.com it will only cost you $3.00. if i have been helpful and if you have no further questions, please leave a positive rating before you go. thank you and have a great night.

Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.
If there is nothing else that i can help you with, please leave a positive rating so that i may receive credit. thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I remove the White wire?

Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.
The wire just comes right out, you may need to pull in it because they tend to get stuck.
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs