Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Bosch gas dryer model wtmc5521uc doesnt light--suspect the

Customer Question

Bosch gas dryer model wtmc5521uc doesn't light--suspect the igniter is bad--how do I remove the front of the dryer to test it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Bosch service technician and I can help you today.

Jon :

please give me two minutes to look up your model number

Jon :

be right back

Jon :

hello

Jon :

how are you ?

Customer:

ok

Jon :

i will look up your model and be right back

Jon :

what are the last 2 digits after the uc/?

Customer:

06

Jon :

thanks

Jon :

be right back

Jon :

ok. got it.

Jon :

on this model do you have the circle access panel on the lower left of the front panel?

Customer:

yes

Jon :

it is a circular panel that can be twisted off

Jon :

ok good

Jon :

have you twisted that off yet?

Customer:

yes--but I can't get my hand inside to do anything

Jon :

and do you have an ac volt meter with ohm check or continuity check on it?

Customer:

yes

Jon :

ok. that is what i was going to ask you, if you could wiggle your hand in to test it that way? obviously it would be easier then removing the panel. but if you can't, then we will remove the panel.

Customer:

I will need to remove the panel anyway to replace it

Jon :

if you would like, you could also remove the rear panel and access the igniter wires that way? sometimes it is easier.

Jon :

ok. lets do the front

Jon :

i will explain what to do hear now.

Customer:

I did the rear when I converted to LP 5 years ago--I can do that if you think it is easier

Jon :

nah. lets start with the front.

Jon :

the igniter is in the front so lets stick with the front panel.

Jon :

here is what you will need to do

Customer:

is it just the two screws toward the bottom?

Jon :

nope.

Jon :

well that is part off it.

Jon :

first. remove the plug from the outlet and make sure the power is off to the dryer.

Customer:

then

Jon :

then remove the screws in the back of the top panel in the rear of the machine. then push the top panel back about an inch or so then lift up to remove the top panel

Jon :

this will give you access to the screws holding the control panel on. the one just above the door on the front panel.

Customer:

I am far from the dryer; but can follow directions...

Jon :

remove the screws to the control panel and remove the control panel

Jon :

with the control panel out you will see the screws to the front panel. there will be several on the top of the front panel. remove them and then open the door and remove the screws that are just below the bottom opening of the door.

Jon :

then remove the screws to the bottom of the front panel.

Jon :

and remove the front panel.

Jon :

this will now give you access to the igniter

Jon :

you can then remove the wiring to the igniter and then remove the screws to the igniter harness and remove the ignier.

Customer:

sounds a bit easier than coming in from the back--I had an old maytag and all you needed to do was take two screws out of the front to get it off!

Jon :

yes. i know the maytags were way easier to work on

Jon :

these foriegn designed models are great machines but a pain the butt to work on.

Jon :

it is not that hard.

Jon :

just alot of screws and panel s to remove to get to the igniter and burner tube.

Jon :

that si why they have put the access cover in the front

Jon :

but if you have big hands then it makes it tough to access and work on the burner

Customer:

Yes I'll agree with that--I think you gave me enough information to finish the diagnosis so what do I do now?

Jon :

so you need to take the front off

Jon :

ok. to check the igniter

Jon :

you will need to leave it in place

Jon :

dont remove it yet.

Customer:

yes and test the igniter (which isn't glowing) and replace it and put it all back together

Jon :

just remove the wire connector to the igniter and put your meter leads on the terminals of the igniter side of the plug. then make sure your meter is on continuity or ohms and you should read 0 ohms or have continuity if the igniter is good. if you get a reading higher then 0 then it is bad.

Customer:

right

Jon :

if you want to check the voltage to the igniter you can put your meter onto ac voltage and plug the machine back in and plug the door switch harness to the front panel back in and put your meter to the other end of the connector, the side that goes back to the machine. and set the dryer on any heated dry setting and hit the start button.

Jon :

if you get full 120 volts then we know there is power to the igniter.

Jon :

if no voltage or anything other then 120 volts then you know the control is bad

Jon :

good so far? understand what to do?

Customer:

yes--can't wait

Jon :

good.

Jon :

please feel free to get back to me here if you run into any troubles and or have any other questions and i will help you more.

Jon :

and if you feel that i have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below with ok service or better rating.

Customer:

so I just "save and exit" and then rate your answers

Jon :

and if you have more questions please get back to me here and i will help you more for no additional charge.

Customer:

ok

Jon :

after you rate positively today, you will be given access to me and the posts you see here at any time

Jon :

and you can save , print and come directly back here at any tome.

Jon :

time

Jon :

just remember to rate positively now.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Doug,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you need any other help or have any other questions please feel free to get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.

oh and here is the part number of the igniter should you need it. It is part number 491648 and should cost about $35. And can be purchased from either www.repairclinic.com or www.marcone.com or at your local appliance parts store.