Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

our frid. side by side gallery series frig is about 4 years

our frid. side by side gallery series frig is about 4 years old and it is not cold in the frig and there is a beeping sound driving us crazy - please let us know how to fix this and thank you
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

Do you know the model number?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i looked inside the frig and it says JSI26 - it's 25.9 cubic ft

In the inside of the fridge at the top should be a sticker that clearly says model and serial number.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

serial 4A82715052

model GLHS68EJSB0

Ok thank you. Is the display in the fridge flashing 4?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nothing flashing

sayes freezer -3

refrig 55

Open up the freezer door and look at the back panel of the freezer. Do you see frost built up on the back panel anywhere? Do you hear a fan running in the freezer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no frost and fan is running

If you put you hand inside the fridge at the top left corner do you feel cold air entering?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes but its not cold cold

Ok the freezer cools the fridge by circulating cold air into it. Something doesn't make sense hear. You fell air being blown into the fridge so that means the thermostat in the fridge is good opening the door. The fan is running in the freezer so the air should be circulating and you dont see any frost so you dont have a defrost problem. Next step is to take a closer look at the coils INSIDE the freezer behind the back panel. Do you have light frost even over the coils?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we just pulled the frig out - don't see any coils - where should I look

The coils are INSIDE the freezer behind the back wall.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

are they behind the ice maker?

Lower then the ice maker. Right below the fan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we dont see a fan - there are vents on the back of the freezer on the bottom.

The beeping noise has stopped - the freezer is cold and we do not see any frost. My husband hit the off/on button and held it for 3 seconds and tried to lower the temp. we could make it go to 33 and then up to 34, we closed the door and when we open the frig door it said 55 and just opened the door again and now it says 53

The panel that has the vents on it will need to be removed to see the coils.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just checked the coils and no frost

Ok then everything should be working. I would put it back together and see if it cools.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can you tell us what happened? did it get fixed when we tried to change the temp? We would really like to know an answer - thanks

You may have reset it by adjusting the temp. I always recommend unplug an appliance you are having problems with and plugging them back in just to see if the control board will reset. The damper door may have been stuck closed also.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I wish you would have told us to try to unplug first. We are seniors and it was a chore for us to pull the fridge out from the wall, and empty the freezer.

I'm sorry but I never did tell you to pull the fridge out. If you look at all my replies I capitalized INSIDE the freezer every time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there are no coils inside of the freezer. We found the coils on the bottom backside (outside) of the unit. Thanks for your help

There are coils in the freezer. They are located behind the back panel with the vents on it. This video might help. CLICK HERE.

Sorry about the confusion.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes this video would have been very helpful. maybe you can use this video to help the next person with this problem

Does the fridge seem to be cooling now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes - down to 47