Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

The electric starter for the cooktop burners started sparking

Customer Question

The electric starter for the cooktop burners started sparking on it's own.I unplugged the stove and re-plugged it and it started sparking again...How to fix?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

my name is XXXXX XXXXX X am an authorized KitchenAid service tech and I can help you today

Customer:

Hi Great...

Jon :

the cook top igniter will just continually spark ?

Jon :

even if the top burners are not turned onto the ignite position?

Customer:

Yes...The dial is set to off, but it still sparks

Jon :

ok. gotcha

Jon :

this is actually common

Customer:

I unplugged the stove to stop it

Jon :

that means the spark module is shorting out and needs to be replaced

Customer:

Is this something I can do?

Jon :

it is shorting out when it is plugged in and continually sending voltage to the igniters. which makes them spark even when the knob is not turned to the on position. and when power is unplugged or flipped off to the machine it will stop.

Jon :

yes. you can fix this by replacing the spark module.

Customer:

So I just buy one from parts? Is spark module the official name?

Jon :

and for now, you either have to disconnect the spark module so the burners wont light on its own. and you will manually have to light it with a lighter or bbq lighter.

Jon :

if you get me the model number of your machine i will get you the part info so you can order it.

Jon :

then get you the directions to replace it yourself.

Jon :

this will save you time and money

Customer:

also, one of my burners looks like the nib of the ignited is very short and isnt putting out a spark...Is this part of the same problem?

Jon :

if there is a drawer under the oven, pull it open and look for the model sticker on the fame behind the door.

Jon :

no, that is the igniter. that would need to be replaced as well.

Jon :

this is all a very easy repair and will not cost too much.

Jon :

if you get me the full model number i will get the part info for you and tell you for sure.

Customer:

Its a kitchen aid architect series 2 KGSS907SWH01

Jon :

great thank you

Jon :

give me two minutes and i will get the part info for you.

Customer:

OK

Jon :

which burner igniter is not sparking fully?

Jon :

the font or left and front or rear?

Customer:

LEFT BACK

Jon :

sorry above i meant to say front or back and left or right

Jon :

got it. thanks

Jon :

stay here be right back

Customer:

and the right back is the one that was going crazy

Jon :

the burner spark module is part number W10110378 and should cost about $20.

Customer:

Is there a guide to fix it?

Jon :

the spark module is part number W10331686 and should cost about $230

Jon :

the fix is pretty easy

Jon :

first unplug the range

Jon :

then remove it from the wall and cabinets to access the back.

Jon :

then remove the screws to the upper access panel. the one right behind the controls.

Jon :

then you will see a smaller box shaped control board. the smaller one on the right, from the back of the machine.

Jon :

just remove the screws holding in the board and remove the board.

Jon :

replace with new one and swap the wires wire for wire so you dont mix any up. i also recommend either writting down the wire placement or taking a picture just in case

Jon :

then close the panel back up and plug back in and test it out.

Jon :

i may have a video for you as well that may help if you need it. but it is pretty easy and straight forward repair

Jon :

should take you about 20 minutes.

Customer:

OK great...and the igniter for the left back burner?

Jon :

ok for the igniter

Jon :

you need to pull up each burner cap then burner itself. on some models there will be a few screws holding the burner to the cooktop. if your model has screws remove them to all burners and pull the top up.

Jon :

BUT PLEASE DONT PULL THE TOP UP MORE THEN A FEW INCHES.

Jon :

the gas lines are directly under the cooktop and will be connected to the burners so when you pull the top up you will alsp pull the burner tubes to the burners up as well. and if they are pulled up too much they will crack.

Jon :

with the cooktop up a bit reach your hand into the unit and pull the igniter off the burner you need to replace and swap it out with the good one.

Jon :

and on some models again, there is one single screw holding in the igniter. if your model has that remove it then swap the igniters and screw the screw back in.

Jon :

then close it all back up again

Jon :

thats it

Jon :

with the igniters this repair should only take about 35 minutes.

Jon :

and if you need more help will installing the spark module or igniters, please get back to me here and i will help you more.

Jon :

let me get the places where you can order the parts from.

Customer:

excellent thanks...

Jon :

you are very welcome.

Jon :

you can get the part from either www.repairclinic.com or www.marcone.com or from your local appliance parts store nbearest you

Jon :

and again, if you need more help either ordering or installing the parts please get back to me here and I will help you more.

Jon :

and if you have no other questions for me now, please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating.

Jon :

and if you have more questions, even after rating me positively, you can come back to me here at any time and i will help you more for no additional charge.

Customer:

Thanks again

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Bruce,

Thank you for the positive rating and very generous bonus as well. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you need more help please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.