romr2009
romr2009, Repair Technician
Experience:  32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control
24179821

My Samsung top load washer will not spin. Goes into rinse cycle

Customer Question

My Samsung top load washer will not spin. Goes into rinse cycle and fills again
Category: Appliance
Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.

Hello Kipp and thanks for choosing the JustAnswer.com Appliance category.

Specific model number?

-----

STEP 0:

• Locate the circuit breaker or fuse box (near the electric meter) or power cord for the unit and physically disconnect power for 20 minutes to reset the controller.
  • Do not rely on the normal power switch on the unit because the power switch for most controller-based equipment is only a signal/request to the controller but does not actually kill power to the controller.

STEP 1:

• After 20 minutes, re-apply power to see if the controller behaves differently by testing the unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model # XXXXX
I have disconnected power at 17:55
Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.
OK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem is still there. I unplugged form25 minutes . Ran a rinse and spin cycle and as soon as he spin cycle was to sart it started filling again for another rinse cycle.. Any update at this point. Thank you
Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.
What buttons are you pressing to get in and out of demo mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Press pure cycle and extra rinse simultaneously for about 4-5 seconds . Allows you to check spin cycle without starting a complete wash cycle
Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.
And how are you getting out of demo mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You pres s stop button and then power button. This is out on you tube. So far I have deposited $65 for you to tell me to unplug my machine and then I have gotten nothing. Is this an on going scenario like this.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.
  • It sounds like the part of the flash memory that remembers if you selected the NO SPIN option is stuck on no spin.
  • Are you able to select and deselect NO SPIN with either of the 2 methods in the user manual?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to get back to you later tonight after 6pm. Thanks
Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.
OK

• See pages 20 and 22 at the link below:

http://www.specsserver.com/CACHE/FRKAVFKGONPF.PDF
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it will spin using the the start button and pressing spin. No problem using that but will still start refill before spinning.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.

How long did you have this unit before the problem started?

-----

page 20

Press the (spin selection) button repeatedly to cycle through the different spin speed options.

• Q: Is the button and LED selection non-responsive?

-----

page 22

Spin Only Adjustment
If you press the Power button, and then press and hold the Spin button for 2 seconds, the spin time is displayed on the display panel.

• Q: What is the spin time you see displayed? And can you change it?

You can then change the spin level independently of any other setting by pressing the Spin button repeatedly until the spin level you want (High, Medium, etc.) is selected on the control panel. Then, press the Start/Pause button.
Make a Spin Only adjustment before you select a cycle. If you have selected a cycle, you can only select the corresponding spin level.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can adjust the level of spin extra high - no spin time of spin adjusts with level. Have owned this product for just over one year. Functions in every spin only cycle with no drum imbalance. I have 4 wet towels in it.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.
  • Check the drain hose is only inserted into the vertical drain pipe 6 inches to prevent back-siphoning.
  • Is there water left in the tub when it should be spinning?
  • (Spin only starts when the tub is completely drained of water by the drain pump motor.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No water left during spin cycle start ,pump working , no kink in hose to vertical pipe drain hose 4 inches and tied so it cannot move with a zip tie.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.
  • If it only spins in the normal cycle with no load or very little load, the problem is either with the MEMS circuitry (that is able to detect tiny vibrations), or the suspension making small vibrations under full load.
  • Is this unit still under warranty?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it is not.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.
  • To continue, you will have to take the unit apart to disconnect and reseat the connectors to see if something is loose.
  • Then examine the suspension to see if there is any visible vibration or physical problems with bearings, etc.

-----

• If nothing is found you will have to replace them MEMS board and/or the main board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will
Make a service call to get it repaired.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome!