Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I have a duet front loading whirlpool washer that is about

Customer Question

I have a duet front loading whirlpool washer that is about 6 years old. My teenager was doing laundry yesterday and I think she WAY over loaded the machine. Now when I try to run a load the water keeps flowing in but the drum will not spin. Could this be a CCU issue? Is it possible that the heavy load just made some of the leads come out of the CCU or is the unit fried?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is Mike, I will be assisting you with this problem today :)

Does the water stop running? or does it continue? have you seen any error codes such as F2?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The water continues to run intermittently. One a heavy duty cycle it just continues with the water. It is currently on wash and you can hear the motor running but the drum is not moving and there is now water leaking from the bottom of the unit.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok you should drain the machine then take the panel off in the rear and inspect the belt, if the belt is broken or shredded it will need to be replaced. Also take the panel off under the door by removing the 3 screws on the lower lip.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Once the panel is out run a load to check where the leak is coming from, grab a flashlight this will help figure where the leak is. I don't think the problem is with the CCU more that there may be some damage to one of the gaskets and possibly damage to the pressure switch.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news :)

Please also remember that if this repair is beyond your ability I have still done my job in answering - where the problem is and how to fix it, Please be fair and rate me "ok service or above" so that I my gain credit for my time and effort.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I put it on drain and spin and it is draining but htere is no water coming out of the unit. The motor sounds fine but the drum is not spinning at all on the draining portion. (so far I am not satified with the information that I have received.)

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok so next take the panel off from under the door, Behind this panel you will see the drain pump, Built into the drain pump you will see the drain filter, Pull the power cord then slowely unscrew the drain filter, mopping the water that comes out with some towels. Once the water stops flowing pull the drain filter out then clear any debris you might find. Once clear re-install the drain filter and try a new cycle, when the new cycle starts look with a flashlight for any leaks through the bottom.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The unit is stuck on the last minute adn will not stop it has been about 4 minutes now. The water appears to still be stuck in hose on the bottom of the unit that is connected to the drain and the water is still sitting there.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok if you pull the plug and follow the directions in my last post this may fix this issue,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Plugged the power back in and tried to start a cycle and it is giving me an F11 code.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok great this tells us what the problem is,

The meaning of the error code is listed below.

F/11

Serial Communication Error

Communication between the Central Control Unit (CCU) and the Motor Control Unit (MCU) cannot be sent correctly.

• Check Wire Harness connectors to the MCU, the motor, and Central Control Unit (CCU)
  • Check the Drive system for any worn or failed components
  • Check MCU
  • Check CCU
  • Check Motor
  • Check Wire Harness

What has likely happened is a wire has come loose between the CCU and MCU.

Take the top off the machine, then pull the wire harnesses from the CCU, re-seat all the wire harnesses then take the panel off under the door, you will see the MCU (motor control) screwed to the floor of the machine, pull all the wire harnesses from the MCU then re-seat them (plug them back in)

This should clear the problem.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The CCU unit had everything in tack and all of the belts and pulleys from the back look fine. In regards to resetting the MCU unit how do you get to it when it is in the unit encased in plastic. There is a yellow and green wire that seems to be dislogged from the motor on the left side of the unit under the drum.....

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
The yellow green wire is just a ground, that most likely went onto the motor, The MCU will have to be pulled out, remove the screws holding it to the floor, you can then turn it around and access the wire harnesses.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there are no scres holding it to the floor. The motor with the yellow and green wire is mounted up under the drum. I noticed that there is a little leaking coming from the piece in between the drain and the black box unit next to it. Drum is still not spinning and you can hear the unit trying to do its job.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me the model number from the sticker around the door?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

model#ghw9300pw4

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
This one looks like it is clipped to the floor, pull the machine out from the wall and lean it back against the wall so that it leans against the wall by it's own weight. Then you can reach under and lever the clips holding it in place with a screw driver.

This is where the wires will all be connected.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

If I understand you correctly the leaking is coming from the pump, or the pipe? if the pipe you may just need to tighten the clamp, if the pump you may have a crack in the pump housing.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The leak is coming from between the black piece which possibly is the pump that is attached to the draining unit. it is leaking between the black and the gray piece where the screws are. Our unit is free standing on a pedestal the MCU the is attached to the floor of the unit on the right is not screwed in. It is only in place by the pegs. Big Mac is able to remove the piece but can not get the piece out to unplug anything with all of the wiring that is in the front of the unit.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok well the only thing else i can suggest is turn the unit around and take the panel off in the rear, reach in from the back and unplug the terminals. other then that you will need to take the unit off the pedestal.

If the leak is coming from one of the pipes then it will need to be replaced, if the leak is coming from where the pipe joins on to the pump then the clamp can be tightened.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not happy that you are not able to tell me why the unit is not spinning.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
The unit is not spinning as I said earlier because you have a f11 error code, likely because of a loose wire to the motor control (mcu) the mcu is what controls the motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Really disappointed that we could not get what the issue is whether it is the MCU or the CCU so now to have to pay for a tech to still come out and tell me what the issue is really sucks!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Like I said the problem is either with a loose wire or a bad mcu. I don't know what else I I can do to help you at this point, I've told you everything you need to know on how to fix it.