Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .

OK so you seem to be one of the only techs that give full answers.

OK so you seem to be one of the only techs that give full answers. It takes days for some of these other guys to respond. I have a scottsman ice machine that is kicking my arss. I can't seem to determine why it wont cycle. I messured the resestince of the temp sensor and room temp is around 26k my new thermistor also messures around 12k after running it for 25 the thermistor installed only reads about 35k ohms I put my new one in the freezer and got it up to 92K ohms and tried to do quick swap but it didnt work I thought I could trick the control board into cycling. All the harvest and cube size settings are normal but the machine just runs and runs. building a huge block of ice. The hot gas relay seems fine as I watch the light come on the control board at the beging of the cycle and everything seems to run fine. Can a faulty thermistor not get up to the proper resistance but seem ok at room temp? I know this is all over the place thank you for your help.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm really sorry but I don't actually work on scottsman units. I wish I could help but I'll have to opt out of this one and hopefully someone else can help you with this problem. I do apologize.

Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.

Can I have the model number please?

let me see if I have a service manual for your unit.

Thanks.

-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have asked you this question previously and tried to respond to it. You already gave me the service manual its an SCC50.

Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.
I remember.

Anyway, the harvest cycle do passes to the timer as well. Can you by pass the timer?

-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I dont think so? its a main control board not a timer.

Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.

I looked at your service manual again, and there is no separate timer that I though you can by passed. The timer is included in the main board. It could be adjusted by a series of buttons to be pressed.

SO, if you already have a new thermistor and it should read about 85k ohms when 0 F, then i would say you have a bad main board.

Now, if you want to trick the main board, you can try to put a rheostat in the thermistor line that would raise its resistance to 85 K ohms once the evaporator coil has frozen up or has started to make ice. This should start the timer to initiate harvest cycle.

You have to wait for more than 10 minutes because the timer can last that long to increase ice size before initiating harvest cycle.

If the harvest cycle did not initiate, then I can say you have a bad main board.

-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where can I find a rheostat they do not have them at Radio Shack

Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.
I would say any electronics supply near your area should have that kind of rheostat.

Its just odd that radio shack does not have one.

I do not have info on electronics retailer , sorry.

-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

could I not use a potentiomitor?

Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can as long as you can get an 85 kilo ohms reading to simulate a 0 F temperature of the sensor.

-
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .