Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

i was running THE self cleaning cycle on a GE profile gas range

i was running THE self cleaning cycle on a GE profile gas range model JGS905SEK1SS
i heard a click and observed the display on the range to be blank. The i tried the gas burners...no electric start, but, the microwave is still lit. No obvious curcuit breakers tripped.
i have shut off the breaker and waited 5 minutes to turn it back on. The display is blacked out.
Any Suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 1 year ago.
Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today.....Sorry you are having this problem..This is the very reason why we suggest to our customers not to use the self clean..more so on this unit as the computer is located directly behind the control panel next to the oven box..What happens is the extreme heat created by the self clean will damage the electronic components..On this unit the computer also includes the keypad (some have a separate keypad which plugs into the computer)..More than likely the computer is damaged and will need to be replaced..But first check the main power connection at the cook top..Many times we find that the wiring will be burnt at that location..Which causes the same symptom you are describing..If the wiring is ok..Then unfortunately you will need to replace the Computer /Oven Control #16...CLICK HERE FOR PARTgraphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i recently had a $300 part replaced because the system that glows and lights the gas to the oven stopped working.

The part you linked to, how is it installed when the oven is locked and blacked out?

IS the oven locked at this time..?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes sir

Most likely you had the door lock assembly replaced before..Now you have a computer problem from what you are explaining..The best way to rectify this problem is to first check the wiring at the back of the un it..If ok..Replace the ovens computer..You will need to pull the unit out..Remove the cook top screws at the side..Then remove the front panel..Replace the computer..Reassemble.Once you power the unit up..The door lock assembly should open unlock.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the door lock assembly has not been replaced as far as i know....can i light the burners with a match

Yes you can ignite the burners with a match ...At the lowest setting..Like i said first verify power to the unit before replacing the computer...Thanks Bob
Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair