Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

Maytag jec8430ads cooktop blows our breaker when hot.

Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today.....Does this happen on all burners..?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The front 2 burners were on and had been on for about 30 mins. when the breaker initially blew. Turned all burners off and flipped the breaker back on, and the breakers quickly blew again. Which led me to believe the problem was in the lights or sensors that indicate that the cooktop was hot. Several hours later, after the cooktop had cooled. The breaker was flipped on again and they did not trip. None of the internal wires or connections have visable damage or burn marks. How do I determine if the problem is one of the indicator lights or a heat sensor without replacing them all? Or am I way off on my suspected problem?

This is a very difficult problem to solve..If you think it is the indicator..Once the breaker trips..Disconnect the indicator..Then see if the breaker will trip while the unit is hot..Being careful not to have either end of the wiring grounding out to the body of the stove top..I think your problem will be more in either the switches or the burner itself..Have you inspected the switches..?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yessir, the switches appear to be in working order. My spouse said there was an audible pop and a visual flash from the control area, when the breaker tripped. So, with 220v I was expecting to see burn marks or some indication of a damaged part or wire. There was none. I will disconnect the connection to the indicators and see if I can re-create the problem. If it trips the breaker, then I will at least know the problem is pre-indicators. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX will report back with the result in case I have to backtrack from there.

Ok great..If the pop cam e from the control area..Then either the wiring to the switches caused it..Or one of the switches is faulty..

Also please remember to rate my answer to you at "OK" or greater before leaving today..If you do have any further questions i will be standing by..Thank You Bob