Appliance Parts
Appliance Parts, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  Appliance tech since 1992. Factory authorized

Our Sub-Zero refrigerator (Model 680) stopped working last

Our Sub-Zero refrigerator (Model 680) stopped working last evening -- no power to the unit and circuit breaker had tripped. Reset the breaker. Refrigerator side seemed to work okay but the freezer side temperature rose rapidly reaching 90 F. I shut off power via the breaker. The unit is ten years old. Any sense of the problem and how much it may cost to fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Turn the power back on, are you able to tell if both compressors a operating on the top?

Wait about 10 minutes then open the freezer and feel around the light, is the light hot like its staying on?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not want to turn the power on again. When I did the first time the temperature in the freezer compartment rose very rapidly (exceeding 90F) and tripped the breaker again. This strikes me as a fire in the making.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX give a proper response, there just is not enough information for me to be able to. I will relist your question for all techs and perhaps someone else will be able to do that for you.

Barry

Expert:  Appliance Parts replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX have been appliance repair tech since 1992.
It seems to me you have a heating element that has shorted and causing the freezer element to stay on. I would not recommend leaving this plugged into power. I can advise you on how to replace the element if you need technical repair help, and i need to know if you are familiar on using an ophm/volt meter. This would be needed on the correct diagnosis of the heater or control shorted. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks but this is beyond my pay grade so I have called for service.

No problem, hope they get it fixed quickly.
Appliance Parts, Home Appliance Tech
Experience: Appliance tech since 1992. Factory authorized