Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.

is someone working on my question

is someone working on my question
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. Do you happen to have the model number of the unit so I can pull up a diagram? Also, did this just start and has the dishwasher not been used recently for any length of time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

model 665.17579 unit is used daily. 2 weeks ago dishes were not drying. Everything else seemed to be working. Element was bad. Put in new element. Cleaned filters in bottom of unit of debris. Turned on unit still not water flowing through spray arms. tried diagnostic by pressing: high temp scrub, air dry, high temp scrub, air dry. Went through cycle no codes showing. restarted dishwasher, same problem. Water drains when i press cancel drain. my assumptions are the same pump handles both.

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay,first of all you have 2 separate pumps for you dishwasher. One handles the washing and the other handles the drain. Now when you cleaned out the dishwasher did you take the inside of the dishwasher apart to clean it out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed lower basket, removed the piping that runs to the top of unit. removed lower spray arm. removed the screws, lifted the cover from the inside of the bottom of the unit and cleaned out unit. I also remove the cover over the food grinder. and found it OK screen was clean. I pulled rubber flapper valve to make sure it was working okay. Reassembled the unit. i did all this after changing element and finding water was not pumping correctly.

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay, was the dishwasher circulating water prior to the heating element being replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes.

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay, one last question, does the dishwasher go through a cycle but just doesn't spray the water or does it fill with water and then go to drain after attempting to wash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the dishasher appears to run all the cycles. I can see the time counting down on the unit.

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay, you need to check and make sure the wires for the heating element are connected and if they are then your problem is the circulation pump itself. If the wire are okay it was a mere coincidence that the pump went out when you did the heating element. If you have to replace the circulation pump/motor it will take about 30 minutes. You can get the part from Sears which is where you will find the motor the cheapest. I am sending you a link to the motor that shows you how to exactly replace the motor. Just copy and past the link to your browser. I am here for further assistance and thank you for your time and patience, Randy.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Circulation-Pump-Motor/W10239404/1548518#repairHelpVideoTabs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The water is heating so I am sure the wires are connected to the element. Is there away to check the circulation pump?

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
The easiest way to check it is to listen for a humming sound during the wash cycle. The only other way is to take it apart again and try to turn the grinder and see if it turns. If it turns there should be slight resistance.
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.