Appliance Parts
Appliance Parts, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  Appliance tech since 1992. Factory authorized

I have a Frigidaire refrigerator, model FFPT10F3MW, a little

I have a Frigidaire refrigerator, model FFPT10F3MW, a little more than one year old.

When the compressor comes on, it makes a ‘chugging’ sound, like a choo-choo train.

We have an open plan kitchen, and the noise is driving us crazy.

Any suggestions?
Hi my name isXXXXX have been an appliance repair tech for over 21 years on major appliances.

The sound usually is generated from the internal valve has came off the mount. The valve is located inside of the compressor and cannot be replaced without replacing the compressor. Unfornately Frigidaire on this model does not sell a replacement compressor. When one is needed they exchange the refrigerator. It would not hurt to call the customer service number to Frigidaire and see if they can help you on that.

I do apologize for the bad news, but this is clearly the problem.
Please remember you must rate your experience with me for me to receive compensation for my time and expertise. I will work for your highest rating, please let me know how I may earn it!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there any way to confirm your diagnosis: "the internal valve has came off the mount."?

Pull the refrigerator from the wall, and put your hand on the large dome black compressor. You should hear the noise coming from there. If you do, the only thing you can do is to change it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

"...the only thing you can do is to change it."

But since Frigidaire doesn't offer a replacement compressor [if I determine that it's the compressor], then I can't really "change it". I have to junk this fridge and buy another. Right?

You can live with the noise till it will not cool, or yes buy a whole new refrigerator since Frigidaire does not supply one on this model.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for all your help. I'll be leaving you good feedback.

FYI: I heard back from Frigidaire, and here's what they said. (I don't know if they help me, but it was your good idea to contact them.)

Thanks for contacting Frigidaire.

We do regret that you are experiencing issues with your refrigerator. Please provide your full physical address. We will also need a copy of your proof of purchase receipt and the diagnosis invoice from the authorized service provider. Please attach a copy of those items to this email response.

Thanks for contacting Frigidaire.

Ms. Jones
Frigidaire Correspondence Specialist

I don't think they will accept this forum, but calling a local factory rep will get your paper work needed to get them to exchange it. I hope it works out for you, and much thanks to the feedback!