Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .
11923974

My dehumidifier seems to run properly in all visual and sound

My dehumidifier seems to run properly in all visual and sound respects but it only removes a very minimal amount of water even if it runs on two hour cycle for a day and the registered room humidity is 70 and the desired humidity level is set on 40. Can you help

Francis :

Hello, Can we have the complete model number please? May I know how old is the unit as well?

Francis :

Have you run it 24 hours and see how many liters of water it would collect?

Customer:

The uit is a 45 pt LG SERIAL NUMBER 5047azf19821. After running for 24 hours at the hour on and off it collected less lthan a pint of water. The machine said the room humidity was 70 and I set the desired humidity to 40.This has happened on several occasions recently

Francis :

Hello, This is sounding like a lack of refrigerant problem. If the compressor is running, as you have said earlier because all the usual noise are there plus the fact that it does collect some water, then if the unit lacks refrigerant, then all of the pipes of the evaporator coil will not be so cold as to collect water from the air.

Francis :

That is how it collect water. The evaporator pipe will get so cold, but not freeze, like an air conditioner, and this pipe would collect water from the air and would lower down your humidity.

Francis :

If your pipes are not cooling very well or only the first part of the tubes are cooling, then it would only collect less amount of water as it should.

Francis :

That is because it lacks refrigerant. If this is your case, then it is not a DIY. You need licensed professional to do the job.

Customer:

What do you mean it is not a DIY. I need a licensed professional to do what???? Where is the refrigerant charged into the unit. How do I determine whether the refrigerant is low.??????

Francis :

Hello, Your unit uses compressor to remove water from the air. It is like an ordinary air conditioning that uses refrigerant s and compressor.

Francis :

If you notice on window types air conditioners, water condensate would be flowing outside the unit if it is properly charged with refrigerant and it is properly cooling. It is absorbing water from the room.

Francis :

So in your case, your dehumidifier has a compressor as well as refrigerant. To determine if you lack refrigerant , you need a manifold gauge that you would connect to a fitting on the unit. Usually, this fitting is sealed so you would need to brace a fitting on the sealed tube to measure refrigerant.

Francis :

That is why I told you, you can not do it yourself. You would need a lot of special tools which professionals like us would have. What a professional should do is established first if the unit lacks refrigerant by installing a charging port. Once established that the unit lacks refrigerant, he should pressure test the unit to find the leak. The unit would have a leak because refrigerant are supposed to be in a sealed system and would just recirculate in the system and should not be lost, unless, there was a leak in the system.

Francis :

After finding the leak, the tech should repair the leak, then evacuate the system, and fill it with refrigerant of the right amount and the right type.

Francis :

In order to buy a refrigerant, you need a license to work with refrigerants.

Customer:

Help me decide whether any further work on this unit makes sense. You can buy an new unit of this size for approximately $225. How much would I expect to pay to have someone like you find and repair the leak and recharge the unit.

Francis :

Usual labor charge from us would be $300 already. Might as well just buy a new one if that is the only cost.

Customer:

be back in a minute I need to look at your second answer