Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

Greetings!! and happy new year. yesterday, my g.f. and i

Greetings!! and happy new year. yesterday, my g.f. and i noticed the water came out extremely hot even though any faucet we tried was only set on medium temp. we thought, that's weird! now, this morning, we have no hot water . what's the deal? did the heating element in the hot water heater go out? can i change it myself? do i need a new hot water heater? thanks, mark
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 1 year ago.
Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today...Sorry you are having this problem today..If you had the same results at each faucet then yes it sounds like your problem is related to the water heater..What is the age of the un it..?..Is it gas Or electric..? Are you able to locate a model number..This will determine if the unit needs to be replaced..Bob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i believe it is the original that came with the house, so, 1996 manuf. year approx,.. i think its gas b/c it has a metal corrugated hose from the wall into it. . and its model # XXXXX 40 913... i believe. serial # XXXXX

The metal Line could also be Electric..If it is gas..You will see a small trap door at the bottom area With gas valve mounted to the side..Normally you will see a red knob for the gas supply..If it is electric..You will notice two heating elements Just behind the plastic covers at the side..The elements would need to be tested..At that age i would be more inclined to replace the unit if it were mine..Here is the parts list for this unit..CLICK HERE
Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what's the best way to test the elements? can i do it myself or do i need to call a technician?

Mark If it is Electric..Remove the element from the side..Then test with a ohm meter..You should have a Closed circuit when testing..You can also remove the element bring it to a local parts place..have them test it for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i just re-inspected the unit. it appears to be electric. i also noticed something strange... on top, where the pvc pipes go into the unit, there is water at the junction of both pvc pipes around one of the other junctions. is this something i should be worried about? should i shut off the water supply to the unit and if so, how?

what's the procedure to getting a hot water unit? go to loses or home depot and shop it out or call a repairman and see what he has in stock or something different.. ? thanks, Mark

The water is most likely from the relief valve letting pressure out....It is a pretty big job to replace if you have not before..Most Lowes and Home depot have contractors that install for them directly..Which the labor rate is not to bad.