Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

my whirlpool washing machine spins but make a knocking noise

my whirlpool washing machine spins but make a knocking noise during the spin cycle.

Appliance Tech Dave :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with your washer. The gearbox has more to do with agitation than spin. Most spin noises are related to the tub shaking and hitting something when it is off balance. Can you tell a general direction the noise comes from?

Customer:

The noise is comming from the agitator because the tub is not making any noise and I also can stop the agitator by holding it with my hand

Appliance Tech Dave :

Are you saying the noise comes from the agitator but when the washer is spinning?

Customer:

Yes it is a knocking noise

Appliance Tech Dave :

Does the agitator spin with the tub during spinning?

Customer:

I think so

Appliance Tech Dave :

Okay, that is normal but the noise is not. Noises are the most difficult thing to get right by "computer". It does seem like the gearcase but there are bolts above the spin drive that hold the break drum in place that I have seen come loose. You need to remove the spin tub and pull the gearcase and spin drive down to see them. If that is okay it will likely be the gearcase. You do understand my concern since I can't hear what you hear?

Customer:

Yes I do understand,Idid pull the gear case off and I didn't find anything that was loose just saw the play in the shaft and when I spin the shaft on the gear case by hand it is not smooth

Appliance Tech Dave :

Okay, that is more grounds to suspect the gearbox. Most times when there is shaft play there will be an oil leak too.

Customer:

Yes there is some brease under the clutch assembly when I took it off

Appliance Tech Dave :

The spin drive is the next part above the clutch that stayed in the washer. The brake drum bolts are above that.

Appliance Tech Dave :

It may be the gearcase but it is expensive and I want you to be sure.

Customer:

I checked and i don't see anything that might be loose

Appliance Tech Dave :

Okay, your call but sounds like the gearcase.

Customer:

Thanks