Appliance Parts
Appliance Parts, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  Appliance tech since 1992. Factory authorized

I have a GE spacemaker microwave oven model # XXXXX

I have a GE spacemaker microwave oven model # XXXXX When I open the microwave door a fan comes on inside. When I close it it shuts off. Also I can not get it to heat unless I turn either the regular fan or the booster fan on.
Hi my name isXXXXX have been an appliance repair tech since 1992.
This is a good indication one of the (3) door switches are bad on the inside of the microwave where the latch makes up. This will cause this issue.
Remove power from cord, Remove top grill vent by removing top screws. Remove the control panel area by removing top secrue screw lift up and down. To the inner left , you will find 3 door switches (micro) number 95 and 96 on this diagram

If you have an ohm meter you can check resistance, if not replace all three. Should be good to go. Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We will try this and hopefully it will take care of the problem. Appreciate the fast response. Can I get back with you if it works or not??

Please remember you must rate your experience with me for me to receive compensation for my time and expertise. I will work for your highest rating, please let me know how I may earn it!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We purchased all 3 switches and changed them out. It solved the fan coming on when the door opens but it still will not heat unless the regular or booster fan is turned on. Need help with this issue

At this point you need an volt meter. Do you have a volt meter? We can check voltage coming to the main high voltage transformer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My husband will check with a volt meter. But wants to know if you know why it heats with the fans on but not without them??

Fans has to come on to prevent the magtube from overheating and shorting the sensor.