clayton5711
clayton5711, technician
Experience:  25 years in appliance repair factory trained on Speed Queen, Maytag and more
55402304

I have a GE electric Dryer, model GFDN240. The control panel

Customer Question

I have a GE electric Dryer, model GFDN240. The control panel does not light up or respond. The light inside the dryer goes on and the does switch does turn the light on and off when I push it in and out. I have reset the 240 volt double pole breaker. Ipushed and held the lock button for more than 3 seconds to make sure it was not in lock mode. I unplugged the dryer for over an hour and plugged it back in to see if it would reset. Still no lights on the control panel when I push power or any of the other buttons. Is there a fuse or internal circuit breaker I need to check? Any other steps or procedures I am missing?
Thanks,
Category: Appliance
Expert:  clayton5711 replied 1 year ago.

clayton5711 :

Hi my name is Roger,allow me to help you with this how are you this evening,you are correct there is whats called a thermal fuse located on tthe backside of the rear bulkhead , you should be able to access it from the back of the dryer

Customer :

I am doing well thanks. I can pull the dryer out from the wall, do I need to take the back off of the dryer?

clayton5711 :

yes you will

Customer :

Once I have the back off, where is the thermal fuse located and how do I test it? Is this part readily available? How does it attach to the dryer?

clayton5711 :

it is a very common part and most appliance parts will have it, to test it either a jumper and just jumper across it or an ohm meter and check for continuity, it attaches with a screw, i believe the one on your dryer looks like a temperature disc its round about size of a dime and has 2 wires coming off it

Customer :

Okay, I will try to find it now and test it. If the thermal fuse blows, it shuts down all the power to the control panel?

Customer :

The dryer is a little over a year old, if it is the thermal fuse, is it defective or do I have another problem that will cause the dryer to overheat and blow another thermal fuse?

clayton5711 :

while your in the dryer clean it of lint in the blower and elsewhere, look for burned connections on wires

clayton5711 :

to answer your last question better, you are right the thermal fuse blows for a reason most of the time , usually because of overheating , reduced venting caused by lint , clogged air passages in the dryer, partiallly clogged or clogged exhaust pipe,

Customer :

I'm looking at the dryer now and it appears that I should be opening the top, not the back, does that make sense? Is the top hinged?

Customer :

The dryer is a new model and has the panel on the front, see this link:

clayton5711 :

the thermal fuse is a saftey device installed in the outlet air of the drum so it can moniter the dryer temps , the reference material i have stated that the thermal fuse was installed on the backside of the rear bulkhead in the dryer accessible from the rear, if you find it easier to go in from the front or top have at it!have you located your electrical schematic for your dryer ?

clayton5711 :

Full Size Image

clayton5711 :

item 507 on the drawing is the thermal fuse

clayton5711 :

Full Size Image

clayton5711 :

item 230 high limit disc

clayton5711 :

Full Size Image

clayton5711 :

item 500 and 507 a high limit and a saftey

clayton5711 :

these other drawing and item numbers listed are the other high limits and safteys

Customer :

I think I am mechanically inclined and resourceful, but I can't find any instructions on disassembling this specific model dryer on the internet, there is nothing in the owner's manual and you have not provided any guidance on opening up the unit. I'm at a point where I have taken the screws out, pryed and I'm afraid I will damage the unit at this point. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to call GE and have a technician come out to repair the dryer.