Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

Maytag front loader washer wont run flashes F 24

Maytag front loader washer won't run flashes F 24
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

"F24" is an indication of a water temperature sensor (NTC) error, or Heating Circuit failure as you stated. Check the Water Temperature Sensor and check connections to the Water Temperature Sensor.

To access, you will have to UNPLUG your washer and remove the lower access panel under the door. The panel comes off by removing the screws under the bottom edge. HINT: If you place a 2 x 4 under the front feet of the washer, it will make access to the screws much easier. If the panel sticks, a tap on the sides will knock it free. The panel will drop down then come off. The sensor (NTC) is located at the base of the wash tub in the front on the heating element. This will be a small square shaped plug between the heating element terminals. Make sure this plug is secure and not loose or unplugged. It is common for the connector plug to come loose due to vibration. If the plug is intact, check the contacts for corrosion. If everything appears as it should, then unplug the wire harness and take a resistance check. Readings will be as follows:

Temperature Meter Reading
32°F (0°C) 35.9 K ohms
86°F (30°C) 9.7 K ohms
104°F (40°C) 6.6 K ohms
122°F (50°C) 4.6 K ohms
140°F (60°C) 3.2 K ohms
158°F (70°C) 2.3 K ohms
203°F (95°C) 1 K ohms

Roughly...around 9K ohms at room temperature if I'm reading the chart correctly. Take readings as listed and also double check the connector to make sure it is not oxidized. Try cleaning the plug and reconnecting to see if the error code goes away. If not, you will probably have to replace the sensor. If the sensor checks good, take a reading across the heating element terminals. It should indicate about 15 ohms.

Lastly, remove the washer top panel by removing the three screws holding the panel in place in the rear. Once the screws are removed, slide the panel back then off. Locate the Central Control Unit (CCU) directly behind the wash tub. Take a resistance check at the Heating Element Solenoid by removing connector 9 from the CCU (this is the second connector from the RIGHT as facing from the front). A reading across test points 1 & 2 should also read 15 ohms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cant identify heating element or sensor
Why the poor rating. If you have the model number I will try to look up a picture and show you where it is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The model number is XXXXX
I took the lower cover off and can see the area your talking about. But I can't tell which is the square plug you're referring to. A picture would help. And a part #.
Here is a picture of the part. CLICK HERE

Here is a picture of the parts diagram. I hope this helps. Part number 24 CLICK HERE
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years