Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

Freezer and refrigerator compartments arent being cooled.

Freezer and refrigerator compartments aren't being cooled. Lights turn off and on, so it got power.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

Do you have the model number? It is located on a sticker in the top of the fridge.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That model number is XXXXX a whirlpool. Is this a GE or a Whirlpool?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its a Whirlpool.

Ok pull the fridge forward and remove the lower back panel. The compressor is a black round object. Is there a white box connected to the side of the compressor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is black.

Is the compressor hot or warm?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Let me clarify that the refrigerator has done this a couple of times in the past few days. I works fine for a while, then stops. Right now, it turned back on after being off a long period of time (the freezer was dripping inside). I just touched the compress (it has been on for 10 minutes or so now), it warm to the touch (not hot enough to burn).

Ok you have a bad compressor. It is common on this model for the compressor to fail. I'm sorry but this isn't a do it yourself repair. To have the compressor replace the repair will cost about 800 dollars.