Phil
Phil, Shop owner
Experience:  Degree, Mech. engr. shop owner. 51 years experience
23932409

Good afternoon, I returned from Italy and brought an LG 220

Good afternoon,
I returned from Italy and brought an LG 220 refrigerator. I have it plugged into an invertor, all is working fine except the compressor.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! Tell me what the watt rating is on the inverter. or tell me the volts and maximum amperage rating on the inverter name plate.

and tell me if it says 'sine wave' or 'square wave' on the inverter please.

As we go along just keep pressing the 'continue' button until we succeed. There are no time limits here.

We can go from there.

Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Invertor: ATVR-1000 Seven Star

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, thats 1,000 watts, or 4.2 amps at 220 volts.. depending on the size of the compressor in your small refrigerator it will draw 2 amps when its running, but require 4 to 6 amps to start... and a 1,000 watt inverter is very close to being too small for that.

Look on the name plate of the refrigerator for the FLA (full load amps) and LRA (;locked rotor amps)... let me know what those numbers are

We can go from there until we get this resolved.

Phil
Phil, Shop owner
Experience: Degree, Mech. engr. shop owner. 51 years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, no picture showed up. can you try again... or just tell me what the name plate label on the refrigerator reads.... or tell me how big the refrigerator is in size, I can estimate the wattage from that.

Thank you for the excellent rating.! we can keep going as necessary on the same dime so to speak.

Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model # XXXXX

Alimentazone 230-240v

Class Climalica: n/t

Corrente Nominale 0.6A

Capacita Refrigerante 9.5kg/24hr

SBRINATORE ASSORBIFA 350w

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

At only 350 watts, your inverter should start the refrigerator if everything else is right...but its not... the frequency is mis-matched, and the voltage ratings are off.

( The fact that the inverter company is not advertising the expensive sine wave feature means that it could be a square wave inverter as well. )

If you bought the refrigerator in Italy it would be 50Hz... if it says 50/60Hz on it you can use it in the US though that is not entirely common.... if you bought the inverter in the US it would be rated 60hz to match our 60Hz power grid here.

Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the refrigerator does say 50 hz

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will I need to buy a Sine Inverter?

Is that what I am understanding?

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

It is the 50Hz that is the problem then. There is no cost effective cure for that in the US. A sine wave inverter will not help in this case.

Phil, Shop owner