Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

I have a 2004 GE JVM2070SH001 over the range microwave. It

I have a 2004 GE JVM2070SH001 over the range microwave. It recently started cutting out intermittently at
random short times into the cooking cycle. The display and clock would go blank and come back on to
have the clock set again. An interesting side effect that would let you know it was going to stop working is
that the display seemed to have a faint shimmer effect prior to it quitting. It seems like RF interference of
some sort. So, is this a bad Mag. and if so do I have to replace both stirrer assy.'s with it and the diode?
This seems to be a common problem with this unit, but no one has posted any solutions to this problem.
A quick reply would be appreciated. I have a tech. background and I am an Engineer by trade, but I will
gladly default to experience in this case. Thank you for your help.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

Yes you do have a bad magnetron and will need to replace it. I would replace the diode at the same time you replace the magnetron. It is always a good idea to replace them together.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I read that other GE microwaves had a "kit" that had the Mag., diode, and stirrer assy.'s .... the mag and diode are straight forward swap, but is the stirrer assy.'s as in the plates in need of replacement also seeing that GE had a kit for other models that included this? One thing I did notice is that this unit has 2 of these stirrer plates. I do not know what would make them bad. Is there a way to tell? Arc burns etc.? The unit works great otherwise without any weird noises.

I haven't heard of a kit and I just looked up the part and it doesn't list a kit either. I wouldn't replace the stirrer motors. I never have to fix this problem.