Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a Miele Cooktop stove (IB 03 02 / A(NNN) NNN-NNNN and am

I have a Miele Cooktop stove (IB 03 02 / A(NNN) NNN-NNNN and am having a couple problems with it: 1. One of the heating elements has not been turning on even though the touch switch that controls that element appears to be working. 2. The other more serious problem that developed recently is that two of the other elements kept on cycling (or pulsating) on and off even though they were not turned on. I had to end up turning off the stove at the main breaker because the elements would not turn off using the surface switches. Do I need to get replacement parts to fix these problems or could there be a simpler fix? Based on the sticker on the underside, the Type stove I have is a KM 451

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! After you turned the breaker off for a while, did they continue to cycle on and off?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. The same thing happen after the breaker was turned off for a while.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Kelly.... Sorry I'm just responding. Yes. The elements continued to cycle on and off even after the main breaker was off for a while. In fact, the breaker was off overnight and when we tried it again the next morning, the problem persisted.

One more thing... I'm back at work today so I may not be able to quickly try the things that you suggest until after 7 PM EST today.. Thank you.

Since the issue did not clear after resetting the power, I suspect the Capacitive Touch Control is at fault. This is a 2 part component and very expensive, difficult to replace and can be hazardous as well. How old is this unit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We bought the house in 2010 with the unit and I believe the previous owner had upgraded the appliances 2 years prior. So the unit is probably over 6 years old.

Is there a tester that I can use to confirm your suspicion about the capacitive touch control being at fault? Also, approximately how expensive is this replacement part? Is it at a level where it may just make sense to get a new cooktop unit altogether?

There is not tester, but the fact that it is turning itself on and off, it is a pretty certain diagnosis. Miele has no parts distributors, so I am unable to quote you the part price, but you may contact them at 1-888-529-8790 and inquire. They start an "incident sheet" for each call, so they will want a lot of information from you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your assistance.

You are very welcome. Let me know what you find out and we can continue, if you would like.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will do Kelly.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Kelly, I spoke with Miele this morning and they told me that the cost of the Capacitive Touch Control is over $650. Does that figure sound like the order of magnitude you were thinking of when you said it was very expensive? Based on that price, I'll probably end up replacing the cooktop with a less expensive model that will cost me as much as the quoted replacement part for my Miele stove.

Yes, that is what I was figuring. I knew it would be expensive, that technology is pricey! In all honesty, I would replace the cooktop with one using less troublesome technology (like knobs and switches) and can be repaired reasonably. Unless you are really attached to the Capacitive Touch controls, they are more trouble than they are worth, in my opinion. I would recommend a Whirlpool or Kitchen Aid cooktop if you want a high quality, dependable appliance. Check out the links below for some that are available. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Kitchen Aid Cooktops

Whirlpool Cooktops

Rating my answer "OK Service" or better is the only way I receive credit for helping you. If you need additional help or clarification, please let me know. I will work to earn your highest rating! You may refer back to this question for as long as necessary after rating, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help Kelly!

You are very welcome, take care!