Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

I have a Jenn air refrigerator/freezer that is about 12 years

Customer Question

I have a Jenn air refrigerator/freezer that is about 12 years old, and every 1-2 years it has a spell where it looks like the refrigerator light sticks on when the door is closed, and it heats up, ruining a bunch of food. I have had the repair guy out several times from the place where we bought it, but he is clueless, and the store management is no help either. This morning I got up and the refrigerator was 58 degrees and the freezer about 8 degrees. As soon as I closed the door and waited about an hour, it was cooling back down. Surely I'm not the only one that's had this problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today.

It sounds like you have a bad door switch. I would start by replacing the door switch.

If you want you could just unscrew the light bulbs too but then the lights wouldn't work when you open the door but it would stop the light bulbs from staying on and heating up the fridge.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The door switch is probably it, I just think a qualified repair man should have found it, or replaced it. Your other answer (to take the light bulb out), is not something I would expect out of a professional.

I wouldn't take the light bulbs out either but some people are just looking for the cheapest fix so I though I would suggest it.