Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

clicking wont stop on gas range

Customer Question

clicking won't stop on gas range
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Are you talking about the "cooktop" spark igniters won't stop clicking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so generally this happens from water getting on one of the burner switches under one of the cooktop knobs. There really isn't much you can do to immediately fix the issue other than leave the power disconnected to the unit for 24 hours to see if it will dry out and work normally again. Generally this fixes the issue, but if not, then the burner switch that got wet will need to be ordered and replaced to fix the issue.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is it? Does the $38 get applied to the service call?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
We don't run service calls through JustAnswer.com. We are all the best technicians and experts that run service calls through various companies and give some of our free time to help you and others with problems they are having with their appliances. Chances are once you let the unit dry out it will start working again, so in your case---this should be a fairly easy fix.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have had the system shut off for 3 weeks while i was out of town. So this in not fixing the problem

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so then unfortunately that means that your spark switch under the knob that got wet will need to be replaced. You can see which one by turning ALL of the burners on. If the clicking doesn't stop, then you need a new spark module. If it stops clicking, then turn one burner off at a time and when the unit starts clicking again, then the switch below that knob needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All the burners are clicking?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Understood. When 1 clicks---they all click. That's 100% normal. You can see which one is faulty by turning ALL of the burners on. If the clicking doesn't stop, then you need a new spark module. If it stops clicking, then turn one burner off at a time and when the unit starts clicking again, then the switch below that knob needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Clicking does not stop when i turn all the burners on

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK then that means you need a new spark module.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I get one and can I easily install is myself?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I couldn't say for certain without a model number on how easy it is to replace, but you can order one at Repairclinic.com if you enter in your model number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So how do I know your answer is correct?

Would you suggest I have a GE service man do this? If so, does the $38 get credited against the service call?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Again, no this charge does not go toward any service call nor have we every implied that it ever would. This fee you are paying is to speak with me and understand what is going on with your appliance. And if you wanted to replaced the part yoruself, you certainly could if you have the ability to do so.

You can also call GE to replace the part if you'd like. Their number is 1.800.626.2000.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well I am not satisfied with this service and don't intend to pay the $38. You didn't tell me anything new. I am still at the exact place i started at.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure why you gave me an unwarranted bad rating since I can not control the problem that your appliance gets, but I do not receive credit for helping you if you do not choose one of the top 3 ratings, so is there anything else I can help you with today to possibly improve your rating?