Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Maytag Bravos Dryer, when trying to turn it on, it

I have a Maytag Bravos Dryer, when trying to turn it on, it acts like it's normal (as far as the lights and sounds) but when you push start, it just makes a click sound and doesn't start. Any suggestions?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker just inside the door way.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for helping us with this issue!

Model # XXXXX

Not a problem. So there are a few things that can cause the issue you're experiencing. You could have a broken belt, or the fuse mounted to the top of the blower wheel could be bad. Part 48 on the diagram in the link below shows where the fuse is located.

OK so this dryer is really hard to access. You'll need to look underneath the dryer because likely a belt has come off and you need to see take the front panel off to see the belt. To do this, open the door and there are 2 hidden clips between the top panel and the front panel. Use a putty knife and push on the two hidden metal spring clips that hold the top panel to the front panel. These clips are located in the crease between the top and front panel. If both clips are pushed back, the top panel will unclip and hinge up and backwards so that you can access the screws coming into the top of the front panel. There are also 2 screws below the door way. Remove these screws and the front panel will hinge forward and down. Then you can see inside the dryer but you really need to remove the front drum support in order to access the belt and fuse.

If you have a multimeter, you can test continuity of the fuse. If not and the belt checks good, then just replace the fuse.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! I'll check this out. Where can we get the fuse or belt if needed?

You can order them from or if needed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. If this is not the problem, how do we get back in touch with you?

you can just post back on this same question. The question never really closes out in case you have follow-up questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can I find out the part numbers/names for either item?

Enter your model number into and it pulls up a breakdown for your model.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great. One last question, do I need to unhook the Gas line before starting on this?

no you do not, but you will want to unplug the dryer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sounds good. Thanks for your help and we'll let you know how it goes!

ok good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm having a hard time finding the clips. Is there a diagram that shows where they are located?

Unfortunately not, but they are there just a few inches from the left and right side.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. So I when I find the clips I push them up so the top panel unhooks?

push them BACK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Found them! Looks like the belt was loose.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you have a diagram for how the belt wraps around the pulley?

That I don't unfortunately. But there are two belts. The one to the blower wheel toward the front will cause the fuse to go bad if that is the one that fell off, so the fuse would also need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The drum belt slipped off. The pulley is loose and wobbly. Is that normal?

That's normal I think unless the wheel is wobbly in which case the idler pulley would need to be replaced. If the wheel itself isn't wobbly, everything should tighten up once you have the belt installed properly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The wheel itself is not wobbly so that sounds great as long as I can get it back together! Laughing

Alright, good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does the flat side of the drum belt go on the drum?

The ribbed part of the belt touches the drum, and the ribbed part will also wrap around the motor pulley. The idler pulley will touch the flat part, NOT the ribbed side of the belt.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Got it put back together and it runs! Just a loose belt I guess. It's not as quiet as it was but it runs. Laughing

Thanks for your help today!