John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I just moved from Colorado to North Carolina and my Kenmore

I just moved from Colorado to North Carolina and my Kenmore model XXXXXXXXX was working fine when it was loaded onto the truck. Now that it has been unloaded here in NC it does not get cold. I have completed steps 1 through 6 of the suggested diagnostics routine and all checks good. But the compressor clicks on and off. How do you test the starter relay on the compressor motor?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

appliance doctor :

Hi,I,m John I will help you with the fridge not starting ,was the fridge moved standing up ?

appliance doctor :

Have you removed the beck bottom panel to see if the fan motor by the compressor is going ?

Customer:

Yes and yes. But the movers tipped it all the way on its side while getting it through the door

Customer:

The fan is running and the compressor is warm and clicks on and off

Customer:

it also has 120V

appliance doctor :

did you let the fridge sit for a few hours before starting it up ?

Customer:

between the red and white wires

Customer:

it was in the truck not running for two days, then it was unloaded and has been plugged in for 12 hours

appliance doctor :

if your getting 120 volts to the relay and its clicking the relay is the problem.

Customer:

Part 16 on the diagram, yes?

appliance doctor :

yes the number 16 is the relay .

appliance doctor :

Sometimes the jarring of the fridge in the moving truck will cause the relay to fail .

Customer:

I have checked the power at on the red and white wire at the compressor as per the diagnostic routine on the wiring diagram

Customer:

The relay has a blue and white wire

Customer:

I have not checked that. Should there be a constant 120 V between those wires? And does the fridge need to be on step 4 of the diagnostic check to test that voltage?

appliance doctor :

If your getting 120 volts to the relay and its clicking it has to be the relay .

Customer:

Right, now where can I find on near Fuquay Varina NC on New Years Day?

appliance doctor :

I dont think you will, the parts stores will be open tomorrow .

appliance doctor :

A rating of three or more will credit me for helping with the fridge not starting .

Customer:

I didnt need help getting it to not start LOL

Customer:

Do you have a part number for the relay that I need?

appliance doctor :

Its the relay thats the problem it wont start till the relay is replaced .

appliance doctor :

Send me the model number I will get you the part number.

Customer:

I know it was just the way you stated it that made me laugh. I needed something to laugh at right now. LOL

Customer:

Model number 52552100

appliance doctor :

Lets hope we can laugh at these things this year.

appliance doctor :

What are the first three numbers .r

Customer:

Why do they pinch off the high and low sides instead of putting connectors to the average joe can recharge them?

Customer:

I can not even test the pressure on the high side with my automotive refridgerant tools

appliance doctor :

They do that to charge the system then cap it off to make sure of no leaks .

Customer:

But you cannot check pressure that way...

Customer:

The first three numbers of what?

appliance doctor :

the model isent complete, you can get the part number off the relay .

Customer:

Figures, that will be fun to read, just trying to reach the wirs with a multi meter is fun enough!

appliance doctor :

you will have to remove the relay to get the part number.

Customer:

NSK88174

Customer:

I am trying to figure out which number is XXXXX part number.

appliance doctor :

Its the same in the auto industry as far as part numbers .

Customer:

C22.2 no.190

Customer: (NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>
Customer:

There are many numbers on the relay

Customer:

I have NEVER seen a relay that doesnt tell you which number is XXXXX part number. Usually they say P/N

John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.