Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a Maytag Neptune washer (model# XXXXX) which makes

We have a Maytag Neptune washer (model# XXXXX) which makes a very loud "whirling" sound during the spin cycle. No other symptons have been noted. It started about 2-3 months ago.
What are the probable reaosns for the sound?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the noise is only happening when the unit goes into high speed spin, it means that your main tub bearing is starting to fail. Now this is actually quite a major repair because it requires the entire outer tub to be replaced as well as the shaft that supports the inner basket which goes through the bearing. The cost of repair would be about $500-700 so most people just replace the washer when the problem gets too bad, but it's completely up to you whether you repair the washer or replace it.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello: If the problem cause is failure of the main bearing, what happens when the bearing completes fails? Also if the main bearing is not failing what are the other possible sources for the sound?

When the bearing completely fails, the noise will be much louder and you'll have water coming out the back of the tub where the shaft goes through the bearing. The water will eventually short out the control board or motor as it drips down.

I really can't think of anything else that would cause a howling, roaring, or jet like noise when the washer goes into high speed spin.