Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

GE Profile Refridgerator model PFS22S1SBSS. Stopped

GE Profile Refridgerator model PFS22S1SBSS. Stopped 12/31/12
refridgerator and freezer stopped cooling, raising the temperature to 64 degrees in
Both Refridgerator and Freezer.

I took off front plate, and vacuumed under the unit, also, pulled away from the wall,
Removed back plate and vacuumed coils and made sure all that was clear.. Coils
Were not hot, fan at the coils was not blowing, but turning very little..

I unplugged it for about 10 minutes and plugged it back in. That did not change anything.

Today, we emptied the refridgerator and freezer because all was ruined.

I unplugged it again, for a longer time this time.

I hear motors, and what I believe internal fans blowing, but not cooling.

Any help please.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back access panel. Is the fan next to the compressor running? And if you touch the big black round compressor, is it room temperature, warm, or blazing hot?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help.. I just got home from work, and I will have to plug the refrigerator back in.. I unplugged it yesterday afternoon when I got home from work and the inside temperature of the refrigerator was 79f.

While I am waiting for that to warm back up, I don't recall the compressor being hot.. The coils were not frozen or hot, and the fan to the right of the coils was not turning at any force.. I will give the unit an hour to warm up and will let you know for sure if the condenser is hot..
OK, just let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I opened the back up, and am waiting for the unit to kick on to cool, but it hasn't.. It's been maybe 15 minutes, and the condenser has not started to heat up.
There is a black box (maybe fan ?) that clicks like it wants to connect, but nothing happens... I have heard it click several times but no change..
I hear what I think are fans inside the refrigerator running, but not cooling.
The black box on the side of the compressor is clicking? This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I removed the black box ( not wiring ) and shook the box.. No rattling sounds could be heard..

If it is the compressor approx how much would that cost ?
Labor? I know you don't know these prices but ball park..
Parts ? ". ". ". ". ". "

Would I be better off buying a new unit ? And not a GE ?

Any recommendations ?

I'll turn this into a 2700.00 storage cabinet in my garage if it's not worth fixing.... 7 years, is that average life ? Used to get 30.
This is not something you can replace yourself unfortunately because you must be licensed to work on the freon system. But to have the compressor replaced, you're usually looking at about $600 with parts, trip, and labor. If the unit is only 7 years old, I'd think it's still worth fixing since it costs so much originally, but that's completely up to you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, that in an answer.. So approx 600.00 to 700.00 to repair it..
What would my chances be that this lasts another 7 years ?

Since the Refrigerator went out New Years Eve ( and I didn't ), we
Went looking New Year's Day for worst case scenario , and it seems
With year end sales and in store discounts we can buy a New Refrigerator for about 1200.00 ( what we should have done 7 years ago )..
I won't hold an answer to you.. But I would like an opinion ( I already have my wife opinion ).
I'd say the chances it lasts 5-7 years would be fairly good. That is would I'd estimate the life of the refrigerator if you fixed it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, thanks for your help..

Have a great day, and THANKS AGAIN..
no problem and really sorry about the bad news.