John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

On my AGS746WW range The set and time, bake, broil buttons

Customer Question

On my AGS746WW range The set and time, bake, broil buttons fell off, and no longer work. Look ok but don't seem to make contact with control underneath. Will new buttons work or is the control box defective?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for choosing this service. does the knob look like it is stripped? and does it make any changes are the control board?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Several knobs (as described) came loose. They look OK (as I stated) but don't produce any changes of actions. 'Stripping' does not apply. The only controls I can activate (as I stated) is the bake button -- not with the button but with a screwdriver. I can then set the bake temperature with the turn knob. None of the other buttons let me do this.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.
Hello Sir or Madam and thanks for choosing the Appliance category.

• Locate the circuit breaker or fuse box (near the electric meter) or power cord for the unit and physically disconnect power for 20 minutes to reset the controller.
  • Do not rely on the normal power switch on the unit because the power switch for most controller-based equipment is only a signal/request to the controller but does not actually kill power to the controller.

• After 20 minutes, re-apply power to see if the controller behaves differently by testing the unit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The suggestion was useless, and I resent your having charged me $45 for advice that did not solve the problem

Expert:  romr2009 replied 3 years ago.
  • The deposit you paid remains in your ja account until you use it.

• Sorry, I wasn't done.
  • Do you wish to continue?