Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Whirlpool Duet dryer stopped tumbling with 17 mins left

Customer Question

My Whirlpool Duet dryer stopped tumbling with 17 mins left in the cycle. Everything seems to be working it just wont tumble. I made sure the dryer was level. The drum turns manually. What next?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you check to see if the timer still counts down after you press the start button. Most of the time when this common issue happens, the dryer won't run but the timer will still count down. And do you hear the motor moving or is it completely silent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All I hear is a click like normal when I hold the start button down. I dont believe the motor is running. The counter does continue to count down.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ok perfect, thank you. If the timer is counting down, this means that your thermal fuse has likely gone bad and will need to be replaced. If you remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel, you can remove the lower front panel by pulling down and forward. Unplug the dryer and look behind the lint filter enclosure to the left. There is a little 1" thin flat white plastic device attached to the top of the blower wheel housing. You will need to order and replace this fuse to correct your problems.

Just for reference, the only other thing that can cause this issue is if the dryer thinks the belt is broken. So when you have the lower front panel off, do make sure the belt isn't laying on the ground broken. There is a switch next to the motor that is activated when the belt is taut. If by chance the belt is attached and the fuse happens to be good or when you replace it you still have an issue, you'll need to replace the belt switch.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it matter that there was 4 screws not 3, Im not seeing a little 1" inch flat white plastic device. Do I have to remove the blower wheel housing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service,

I am a different tech and can assist you with this if you still want help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still need help. Can you respond to my last response?
Yes remove the lower panel, the lint screen and the 3-4 screws that keep the blocwer duct housing on. Can you do that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done!
Ok you will see a white peg with two wires going to it on top of the blower housing. Take those wires off and interlock them so they are making contact and use some electric tap to tape it up so they do not touch ground. Then try and start the unit. If it starts replace that thermal link and make sure your vent line is clear to the outside. Let me know what happens.
All I ask is that you rate my assitance, if you need anything else let me know! Happy new Year!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok it did not start
Ok make sure the belt is not broken and make sire the door switch is working. Also does it humm or sound like it is trying to start at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I had to go to work, now I'm back at this. the belt is not broke, the door switch seems to be working. the only noise
I hear is a click like normal when I hold the start button.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so you need to test the fuse and make sure the fuse is good. if the fuse is good and everything else checks good, your main relay control board would need to be replaced.