Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

We have a Whirlpool canopy cooker hood AKR610IX which is only

We have a Whirlpool canopy cooker hood AKR610IX which is only a couple of year's old. It was installed as part of a kitchen reno we had done in May 2011. We thought we had a rather sensitive smoke detector that went off with what appeared to be very little steam/fumes etc from roasts but try frying something and it takes extra care to not set it off. Over Christmas we had some visitors who had a look at the rangehood and said it didn't appear to be extracting - makes a lot of noise but not much else. We had a qualified sparky do the hook up and a handyman who does lots of renos both privately and commercially do the rest. When turning the fan on and putting a hand close to the fan, it appears to be blowing air not sucking it out. Also, we do not have an oil cup or facility to put on charcoal filters - didn't realise this either. The unit was installed as was delivered by a Whirlpool contract but was purchased as part of an IKEA kitchen. If we are missing parts, we didn't realise it and may need a service so will need to contact someone in WA to do this. Please advise what you think. Thanks Peta and Rod
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Michelle

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to helping you! There is a damper in the exhaust pipe that closes when not is use. It is quite likely that it is not able to open. Has this always been an issue since installation or have you not really noticed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly
Sorry didn't get back to you earlier but it is New Year's Day and wasn't sure if you would respond as quickly. Firstly, we do think that this has been an issue since installation but didn't realise it until it was questioned by visitors over Christmas when the smoke alarm kept going off. It has always sounded like it was working but we didn't really check as we don't always use the exhaust fan. The unit was delivered all in one piece and was installed as such and we didn't know any different to ask installer to check. Can you explain what we need to do to check if the exhaust pipe is opened or more importantly, how we open it. Thank you Rod and Peta
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Can you remove the filters and turn the fan on high speed while looking up the pipe from underneath? Can you see the flapper open? Does the hood exhaust out the roof of your home or a side wall?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly

Sorry but our time frames keep crossing as we are in Perth Western Australia and Happy New Year to you anyway. However, when we remove the canopy filter, the fan/s are fixed behind screwed in fan guard. We have tried to do what you asked but cannot see anything - just feel air blowing out. I will try attaching a couple of images to help. Also exits into the roof. Thanks Rod and Peta

Fan housing on rangehood 1

fan housing on rangehood 2

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. The fan assembly will need to be removed to access the exhaust pipe, the suspected area of trouble. I think the flapper is not opening to allow the air to be blown out and it is simply getting recirculated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly

Thanks for your fast response - it must be the middle of the night for you... Should the fan assembly be removed by a qualified person i.e. electrician or some such (the rangehood is out of warranty so no issue there - just electrical)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Kelly

We decided just to go ahead and check the flapper anyway and pulled the housing off. You were right in that the flapper wasn't opening but it turns out that it wasn't stuck, it was a case of when installed the exhaust pipe hadn't been secured and consequently there was no air pressure coming into the outlet to allow the flapper to open. We managed to sort it from there and feel a bit daft that we didn't suspect something earlier when it was extremely loud to operate. Thanks for your help - appreciate your time. All the best Rod and Peta. Cheers XXXXX XXXXX!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

That is great news, very well done! Sorry for the delayed response. I am in Montana, USA, so we are a few hours apart! Again, great job! Happy Venting! Wink

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!