Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.

I have a front load maytag washer and it quit washing. The

I have a front load maytag washer and it quit washing. The code is DO and FL which says door is not locked. The door is locked and will not open. How do I get open?
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. Do you happen to have the model number of the washer so I can better assist you? If not is the soap dispenser on the top or front of the washer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

top load dispenser

Okay, make sure you have some towels or something to clean up the water. Now open the lid for the soap dispenser and carefully look for a yellow nylon string (it may be white or green). This is the release for the door lock so grab that cord and pull a little firmly to the left. This should at least release the door lock. Let me know when you have that done.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have it open

Okay, so it is still full of water correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

about 1/4 filled with clothes

Okay, let's try this. It may fault out again but hopefully it was just a glitch in the lock. Go ahead and unplug the washer for 2 minutes. Now go ahead and close the door again and start the washer in the normal cycle and see if it starts. If is does go ahead and go to the drain/spin cycle and see if it drains and spins. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

replugged in and tried to start a normal cycle and got same code (DO) as if door was not closed but it really was closed.

Okay, both fault codes, like you stated, mean that it thinks the door is not closed. The DO means it thinks the door is open or not locking properly so it can't start a cycle and the FL means that it was unable to lock the door after you closed it. Now since you say the door does lock then the control board is not sensing it being locked and that is why you get the errors. You need to replace the door lock assembly to correct the issue. I am sending you a link to a diagram and the door lock assembly is #1 on the diagram. Just copy and paste the link to your browser. I am here for further assistance and thank you for your time and patience, Randy.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How easy is it to install that part...I don not see any screws to remove to take the old one out.