Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.

GE Washer: Model WCVH6400J1WW The washer is spinning at

GE Washer: Model WCVH6400J1WW

The washer is spinning at excessively high speed regardless of spin setting. Sounds like a jet preparing for take-off.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you. If you open the door and grab the silver spin basket, can you push it up and down? If it feels loose and moves up and down, then you have a bearing issue and would have to replace the whole rear half of the outer tub (the bearing is a part of the outer tub). When front load washers sound like a jet getting ready to take off, that is usually a bearing issue. How old is the washer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is free movement back and forth, but It doesn't appear to move up and down very much if at all. It's about 4 or 5 years old.

If you spin the silver spin basket by hand, do you hear any noise? Like a grinding noise?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No noise.

Can you access the rear of the unit and remove the back cover?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just tried to move the washer. Seems to be filled with water. Running a drain and spin cycle now.

OK. If you can remove the cover, look to see if you see any brown oily looking substance that is coming out of the center of the tub.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing. When the washer went into the spin mode, the speed seemed to be fine, it was still extremely loud though.

That noise is definely a bearing. Every time I have seen a bearing fail, the noise is always described as a jet taking off. As I said before, the bearing is a part of the rear tub and to replace it, you are looking well over $500 parts and labor.