Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

my frigidaire dryer has an e64 error code. the dryer will work

Customer Question

my frigidaire dryer has an e64 error code. the dryer will work fine sometimes with no
problem. dont know is heating it up causes a short in the wiring but guessing the heater
is working fine. model number is XXXXX what part needs to be replaced and what do i need to test.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

E64 just means there is a problem with your heating circuit. The entire dryer will need to be taken apart and then you will want to test the continuity through the heater as well as the thermostats on the side of the heater. If they all have continuity, then you're down to either having a bad thermistor or a bad control board. You really can't test them since the problem is sporadic, but generally the problem is the controlb oard because the relay fails and stops sending power to the element sometimes.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i know i cant test anything if it is not failing. if it is the circuit board can i just replace the relay?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
you're exactly right, that's sort of the problem. Although if a heating element or thermostat was bad, you'd know because continuity wouldn't come up right. it might giveyou a weird reading. That is why I was saying that if the problem doesn't happen all the time, it's likely a bad thermistor or control board and the contorl board is much more likely. Unfortunately the relay is built into the control board and can not be replaced separately.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what do those parts cost? i work on cars not dryers are either of those hard to replace would the control board have to be programed or anything.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The control board doesn't require any programming and only takes me about 15 minutes to replace. The thermistor can be accessed by just removing the lower front panel so it also maybe takes 15 minutes to replace. The control board is about $125 and the thermistor is about $20. So as far as guessing goes, the thermistor would be much cheaper... although I've found it to not be as common to cause the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so it has to be one of those two things if the dryer will still work of is that your best guess

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It's doesn't have to be, but if it's intermittent it's by far the most likely. The element could be broken and making contact every once in a while, or a safety thermostat could be tripping sometimes and not resetting like it's supposed to be, but those would be really really rare circumstances and as you said before, it's working sporadically so there is really not way to test unless it gets much worse.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I see this question is still open and you haven't rated me, is there anything else I can help you with today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so i replaced ther circuit board and i still have the same problem. I was reading someone elses question with the same problem and the guy said

it most of the time is the thermal cutoff fuse. what do you think? were should I go from here

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So it is possible but again, the problem is that you can't test it because it is working sometimes and generally thermostats don't fail so that they work sporadically.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well what would fail sometimes that works sporatically

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
usually that would be the control board. But really it can be anything, although just not nearly as common as the control board. So if you replaced the control board and still have issues, I'd say replacing the high limit thermostat is probably the next thing to try.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how much do those run normaly and were is it located

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It's mounted to the side of the heating canister under the drum and the part is about $40. Below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks I guess if this doesnt work i will return my parts and have someone look at it

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, well I wish you only the best and hope you can get it working again. Sporadic problems are really hard to figure out because you can't test for the faulty part.