Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE Profile Model #PFS22S1SBSS Serial # XXXXX A

I have a GE Profile Model #PFS22S1SBSS Serial # XXXXX A couple of times a day it makes a lot of noise - a loud fan/motor running. I'm wondering if it's the fan or the condenser. Do you have any suggestions.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you describe where the noise is comming from ? is it comming from the back or inside the freezer ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is really loud. We have to leave the kitchen area when it cycles into that mode. It seems to come from the back of the refrigerator lower right side. But it is so loud that you can't really tell.

wow that loud ? okay. how often do you hear this ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Daily when the refrigerator goes through the cycle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you still there?

yes sorry busy night.
I'm not sure what cycle you mean, the run cycle ? the defrost cycle? when the compressor comes on ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The loud noise happens once a day around 5:00 p.m. It lasts about an hour.

Okay thats strange. there nothing that cycles on a 24 hour basis in this. the defrost cycle is around evey 8 hours , is this making ice correctly ? does it take a long time to cycle the ice and dump a new load?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have never noticed ti making noise at other times. However, I work and I sleep so maybe that happens when I'm not around. The ice maker is off.

okay, the ice maker is off. so thats probably not the issue. I would think its the condenser fan if its comming from the back. the only other thing would be the compressor itself but that runs a lot during the day you would have noticed that. I would change the condenser fan. Condenser Fan Motor WR84X10055 Main Product View heres a link to the part.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had a repair guy out here and he said it was the compressor. I hope it is the condenser fan. It's less expensive. The compressor costs $800.00 Thanks.

He said it was the compressor ? its rare on that refrigerator. those compressors are very good ones, to be honest from here its hard to say but the compressor runs a lot during the day and I would think you would have heard it more.
the compressor for your refrigerator is $262.00 at this link. I think he's taking you if he's charging you $800.00, the whole compressor replacement shouldnt run more than $500.00 complete.