Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Whirlpool refg. , ice maker "whirring" noise-loud, changed

Whirlpool refg. , ice maker "whirring" noise-loud, changed unit, no noise change, what's next?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

do you have the model number ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Kenmore (Whirlpool) #50269992, side by side, noise comes from upper back of ice maker. All said, "bad ice maker" (even new one), changed again, still noise.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan, More info. about this; it seems to occur each time the freezer fan kicks-on.

you need to replace the fan behind the panel in the back of the freezer.remove the ice maker and then the panel behind it. order and replace the fan. heres a link to the part. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Evaporator-Fan-Motor/4389147/921544?modelNumber=106.50269992 the reason is stops when you open the door is because the switch shuts the fan off when you open the freezer , thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But the noise does not stop when the door is opened and I still hear the fan turning freely.

sorry had to work on the road today. try removing the back panel inside the freezer and take a look. this may have ice or frost behind it can you take a look ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Again, The fan is running and something is making noise even when the door is opened. Please advise.

okay well you replaced the ice maker and theres not much more in this but the fan. theres nothing else that could make a whirling noise. can you not take the panel out and see if you can here it better. ? are you sure its inside the freezer and not comming from the back near the compressor and sounds like its in the freezer? can you pull the refrigerator away from the wall and listen down near the compressor and see if its comming from that area ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll do these in the AM and get back to you.

And Thanks!!!

okay.let me know , thanks, Bryan