Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

msd2434ge not cooling

msd2434ge not cooling
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Is the refrigerator making any sound at all? Is the freezer side cold?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

fan running. neither side cooling

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

fan running. neither side cooling

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well?

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
View Full Image
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

fan ok. where is the compressor

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Beside the fan around behind the refrigerator. There is a metal or fiberboard cover there with screws in it. Remove the screws and the panel to gain access to the compressor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

seems normal temp. I've refrig unplugged

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, Barry has opted out can you plug this back in and listen behind the refrigerator and tell me if you hear any clicking or buzzing about every 3-5 minutes ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no clicking no buzzing, compressor slight vibration

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay. so the compressor is running it seems ? good. now open the freezer and remove any shelves, in the very back of the freezer inside there is a panel with screws in it. remove the screws and take the panel out. take a look at the coils, are they frosted ? are they all frosted or just some ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no frost clear, fan running

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay no frost at all ? how long has this been plugged back in ? can you let it run for another hour and check again ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, can i leave cover off

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes we just need to see if this frosts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay please respond back in an hour. thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No frosting evident

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay thats not good. it means if your sure the compressor is running you have a freon leak. feel the compressor and see if its hot and still vibrating. let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not home until 8 edt

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
thats okay just reply when you get home. I'll check my questions and watch for your reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
C not hot , freezer not cooling
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay , Unfortunately I had to go out last night on an emergency call, (figures a refrigerator !) anyway was it cold or warm ? was it vibrating ?(running ) if it was warm and running your either out of freon or theres a compressor problem.thats something you would;led need a tech to check ,its the sealed system. sorry for the bad news, at least we know now, hope this helps, thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.