Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Kenmore 795.75202401 bottom freezer refrigerator. Freezer will

Kenmore 795.75202401 bottom freezer refrigerator. Freezer will not freeze (stays at 40 degrees). Refrigerator keeps constant temp barely just below 40. Compressor runs. Fans in back bottom runs next to compressor. Fan in Freezer behind panel inside runs. Defrost thermostat has been replaced with no change. Evap. coils have heavy frost 25% of coils next to electric plugin.
Any thoughts???
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today Only 25% of the evaporator coils are frosted in this ? inside the freezer behind the back panel correct ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is correct. Any time I have checked on these coils the same area is the only part frosted over. Of course I unplug and defrost with hairdryer and plug in again. As I mentioned, this has been going on for several weeks.

Okay thats not good news unfortunately. It mean the sealed system is low on freon and has a leak. the system would need to be tapped and vacuumed down then the leak found and repaired before you can recharge this.the problem is it will need to be done by an AVAC licensed tech. its against the new freon laws to just charge these now. I hate giving bad news, your probably looking at between $200-$300 to repair this. hope this info helps, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have wondered about the freon. However, other sources have said that it would not be cooling at all by now if there were a freon issue. This has been going on I guess since October. Seems I would be without freon by now and there would be no frost on coils at all if this was the real issue.

its not completely out of freon (yet) but it has a slow leak and will get worse.when these are low they will still cool but theres not enough freon to fill all the coils so only part will frost and usually frost heavy because the compressor keeps running to try to bring it down to temp , of course it never gets there. trust me I've seen this a thousand times.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I have an appliance repair coming on Thursday. I will let you know the outcome. At least $200-300 is less than a new appliance!

thats for sure ! A new one is a lot more, have a great night and thanks, Bryan