Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.

I have an Advantium convection oven, model# XXXXX 02.

I have an Advantium convection oven, model# XXXXX 02. The control panel doesn't seem to be getting any power. This problem happened when I started it up one day to cook something. It ran for about a second or two and then went off. If I throw the breaker, unplug and then plug back in the oven, it lights up for about one second and then goes off again. Any suggestions?
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. Okay when it shuts off do you lose display and if you open the door does the cavity light come on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The cavity light is off as well, the panel board is off, and the night light doesn't come on either.

Okay, may I ask how old this unit is?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

8 years old. We have had the door switch replaced three times. The last time I had the tech order me spare parts. I have three extra switches-part number #'s WB24X10112, two switch part #'s WB24X10113, and the part that was replaced three times was part #WB24X10029. The problem I know at least on one of those service calls was that it appeared to be working but the microwave part was working-it wouldn't heat up a cup of water.

Okay, it is not your door switches since none of the lights come on at all. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your control board is bad. I have looked at it and the transformer on the control board is overheating and causing it to shut off right away. The control board controls all the functions that we have discussed. I am sending you a link to a diagram and the control board is #4 on the diagram. Just copy and paste the link to your browser. I am here for further assistance and thank you for your time and patience, Randy.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When you say you have "looked" at it what do you mean. Do you mean you have repaired this same oven with the same symptoms and you have found this to be the problem? Do you know how much the part typically runs and is it fairly easy to replace?

I meant that by looking at the diagrams and by your symptoms the only thing it can be is the smart board which is #1655 on the diagram. It will run about $150 and fairly easy to replace for the average handyman.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wow, that is a lot of money for a part. Are you very certain that is the only thing it can be? I hate to invest that in a part only to find out it wasn't the problem. Will this require taking the oven down from the wall or can it be accessed from the control panel?

Yes I am certain that is your problem. That is the ONLY thing that controls all the symptoms. You don't need to drop the microwave and yes you access the board behind the control panel. You will need to remove the vent over the door by removing the 2 screws on top of the microwave that hold the vent on. Also, I agree that it is a lot of money for an 8 year old microwave. I often ask customers if they what to throw good money at bad. Meaning that do you want to spend that money and you never know when let's say the magnetron or power supply goes bad which those also are a pretty good penny. I am here for further assistance and thank you for your time and patience, Randy.