MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS

dryer turns but will not heat - faint electrical burn odor

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker around the frame of the doorway and can be seen if you open the door.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

amana lea60w

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK the first thing you want to do is make sure you're getting 240 volts to the back of the dryer. Pull the dryer out and remove the small access panel where the power cord connects to the back of the dryer. Sometimes the wires will burn there and the power cord needs to be replaced. Either way, the dryer will run with 120 volts, but it won't heat without 240 volts. If you're still not getting heat, then you'll need to replace the heating assembly in the lower back left corner of the dryer. You can unplug the dryer and remove the 2 screws in the lower right and left corners of the lower front panel. The lower panel will pull off and now you can reach all the way back under the drum in the back left corner to see the heater assembly. Below is a link tot he part.

CLICK HERE

If you have a multimeter, you can check continuity through the heater just to ensure it's bad if it doesn't have continuity.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the electrical cord is fine - connections are tight and show no signs of damage. can i check continuity of the heating assembly without removing it from the dryer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
i am trying to diagnose the problem. i was given one response - no answer to follow up questions. Appliance Doc is now offline.
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. To check continuity on your heating element you will have to remove the front of your dryer and your drum. Do you wish to continue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Randy, i'm not sure I want to remove the drum - sounds like a bigger job than I am prepared to tackle. will it be more straightforward to remove the heating element and then test continuity? if so, how do I remove the heating element from the Amana LEA60W?

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately the heating element is bolted to the back of the dryer, lower left corner behind the drum. Here is a link to the diagrams for your dryer and the heating element is #4 on the Rear Bulkhead diagram. Just copy and paste the link to your browser. Let me know if you want to proceed.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Amana-Parts/Dryer-Parts/Model-LEA60AWPLEA60AW/1268/0151200?searchedModel=lea&blt=

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Randy, yes, I want to proceed. If I can't fix it, I will have to replace it. From looking at the diagrams, it seems to me I will need to remove the top cover and disassemble some other items to lift out the drum. How should I proceed? On the Amana LEA60W, are there any hazards I should be aware of?

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay, you don't have to remove the top at all to get the drum out. Look at the bottom of the dryer below that panel and on the left and right side bottom there will be 2 screws. Remove them and then get a putty knife and at the top of that panel and kinda push down to allow the panel to "drop". Set that aside and let me know when you are ready to go. BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING DISCONNECT POWER TO THE DRYER.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have removed the panel at the bottom front of the dryer. ready to go!

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay, now you should see 2 screws holding the rest of the door on the bottom left and right. Remove the lint catcher. Remove those screws and then CAREFULLY pull out from the bottom the door to release the "catches" that attach the door to the top of the dryer. Slowly lower the door and look behind to unplug the wires from the door switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

done. i also removed the light above the door - wiring appears to be in the way to pulling the drum. what's next?

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay now you need to remove the 4 screws (one in each corner) of the drum fram and take that off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

also done. all simple so far. now how do i get that drum out?

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Cool, now go ahead and lay down on the floor and look to the right behind the drum and you will see the belt going around a pulley. Go ahead and reach in and pull the pulley to the right to loosen the belt on the pulley and slip the belt off of the pulley. Now with the belt loose you should be able to pull the drum out. You may have to take the belt off all the way to get the drum out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. which screws do i pull next to remove he back plate?

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay by now if you look at the lower left corner of the dryer you should see the heating element. It is #4 on the rear bulkhead diagram and you will only see the back of it. It has the thermostats attached to it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, i've pulled it down. what wires do i remove to pull it free? what will come with the new heating element?

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Let's check your heating element first to make sure it is bad. Do you have a voltmeter to measure for continuity/resistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. my lowest setting for a resistance measurement is 200 ohms. without disconnecting any wires, when touching the probes to the two terminals, the digital meter reading changes to 10.2 ohms. it appears i have continuity, right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Randy was very helpful but is now offline. I am still trying to diagnose the problem with my dryer.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
We need to measure VOLTAGE here. Can you do that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. just walk me through the steps. what voltage(s) do i need to test? is it the thermostat? or the thermal fuse perhaps? should i reinstall the heating element and plug in the dryer?

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
I need to do this methodically, so just test what I need you to and give me the answer. The solution should be found in about 3 steps.

If you do not give me an accurate answer then this will be nothing more than a waste of time.

Do you have 240 or so at the terminal block where the cord attaches? This would be between the outside wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes - 246

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

Great. Unplug dryer. There are just 2 wires that LEAD to the heating element. Pull them off and isolate them so nothing shorts out. Place your meter leads on them and turn the dryer on in a heated cycle. There should be 240. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

tested blue and black wire (leads to heating element) with dryer plugged in, door connected and dryer running - voltage reading 0.

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
Then there is a problem with the motor or the timer here or a bad connection. Unplug the unit and take out the drum so you can see the wires on the motor. One leads from it to the heater. See if it looks fine as well as the other wire that is just as heavy which comes from the timer area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

all wires appear to be in good condition - from the terminal block to the motor to the heating element to the timer. what's next?

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
Measure the voltage from the other heavy wire on the motor to the other wire that went to the heater with unit running. You are not measuring to the wire that leads from the motor to the heater. Make sure all wires stay isolated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

with the dryer running in a heating cycle, we checked the voltage between a black wire leading from the motor (not the one between the heating element and the motor) and the blue wire leading to the heating element. the digital display read 0.

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
The dryer only needs to be plugged in now and set to a heating cycle for the rest of this. Measure from the black wire on the terminal block to the wire on the H terminal on the timer. It will be heavy just like the black wire. There should be 240; if not your timer is the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Mr Answer. Unfortunately, I have to sign off. I will check the final piece tomorrow. I very much appreciate your help.

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will see if anything else was needed tomorrow if you do have the right reading. thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mr. Answer, if you recall this repair project from yesterday, the problem is definitely the timer. A heavy orange wire (running between the H terminal on the timer and the heat selector) burned out (bad crimp to the connector) and caused the timer to burn out. The plastic partially melted right at the H terminal marking on the timer and you can smell the burn. I ran the electrical test for kicks - no power. So, I will replace the timer and we should be good to go for another 13 years on this dryer. My wife will be so happy.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Please reply so I can complete the rating - excellent service!!

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
Great. That's what happens when a methodical approach is taken. thanks for following the directions and finding the issue because you listened to what to do.
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mr. Answer, I replied to you this morning to confirm the timer was bad on my Amana LEA60AW dryer. Now I'm putting the dryer back together and am having trouble properly installing the drum belt. Can you provide a diagram? Thank you!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mr. Answer, please disregard my last post. Dryer belt re-installed. Thanks again.