Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

ge pg48t09axk00 water heater wont light.

Customer Question

ge pg48t09axk00 water heater won't light.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service,

Take off the screws to the burner plaste cover so you can see the pilot assembly. It is very hard to see through that window. It may be lighting, but not holding the pilot. So if it is lighting after checking it, then you may have a bad thermocouple or in line fuse in the thermocouple...either cas that would need to be replaced and the likeley issue. Check it out and let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Drain pan prevents cover from coming off easily. Resorting to tin snips.
It should come easily off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It did once the pan was cut down a little. The pilot is burning.
OK does the pilot stay lit...if so does it light up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its burning right now. Could it have been lit when I first tried to start it? I didn't do anything special to it yet it Burns now.
Yes it could have been, it is very easy to not see the pilot flame as the window is in a bad spot so it always appears that it is not lit. If it lights the burner up when set up to temp, I would not worry about it. Now if it is not heating at all that is a different issue. Let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I hear pinginig and what sounds like water sizzling. Is that normal?
Yes if the burner is lit you may hear some odd noises like that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its also VERY orange inside. I know there's fire in there, but should it be like that?
Yes it should be like that...pretty orange....Just make sure the honeycomb filter in the center is clean...often they will get plugged then when you put the cover back on the flame would die out along with the pilot, if that happens the honeycomb filter in the center is plugged.....get some compressed air and remove the burner assembly and blow down through the filter to the bottom...this happens a lot.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It burned out. Ill try removing the cover and blowing it down.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The pilot light won't stay lit. I had a similar problem with the water heater I had before this one and it was the thermocouple. Could it be the same thing here as well?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Now the pilot won't light at all.

Sorry for the delay I was offline for a bit due to the time. Yes it could very well be the thermocouple and I would replace that first before doing anything else. You can get it at any local hardware store.