Appliance Parts
Appliance Parts, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  Appliance tech since 1992. Factory authorized
70080267

My Kenmore Built in oven/microwave self cleaning cycle finished

My Kenmore Built in oven/microwave self cleaning cycle finished well over an hour ago and the oven door will not unlock. The work "Locked" is lit and every few seconds the wor "DOOR" flashes in red. I've tried pressing and holding the "STOP/Clear" button and holding for 3 seconds without any results. I've tried pressing and holding the "Light" button (reset) for 3 seconds with no results. Is there something else I can try?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Parts replied 1 year ago.

Appliance Parts :

Hi my name isXXXXX have been an appliance repair tech since 1992.
I noticed you stated it was only an hour since the cleaning cycle has been completed.
It usually can take upwards to 2 hours for the oven to cool down before the sensor is reset to open the door.
It is a safety issue built in the oven. However if later on it does not open, try going back into clean for 10 minutes, then cancel out to see if it finally opens. And let me know we will continue here if it doesn't.

Customer:

Okay, but the oven has never responded this way in the past when completing a cleaning cycle.

Appliance Parts :

Have you tried resetting the power to the oven?

Customer:

Yes, I failed to mention that the cycle completed about 4 hours ago

Appliance Parts :

Do you have the model number somewhere stored?

Customer:

49425 is listed on the cover of the user manual

Customer:

actually it says 49427, 49429. It's a built microwave and oven

Customer:

crap sould read 49425 not 49427

Appliance Parts :

Yes that's the guides number, Kenmore is a long series of numbers. Even though it may say model i cannot cross reference them.

Customer:

Hold a minute I'll look

Appliance Parts :

The problem would be located in your door latch solenoid or the oven control is shorted. You would have to slim it to get the oven door open to gain access

Customer:

try(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Appliance Parts :

Yes this is correct.

Appliance Parts :

If you have a wire coat hanger you can shape it to wedge between the door latch and oven. Disconnect power and pull to the right when you grap the latch. This should open the door.

Customer:

tried that with a coat hanger (the only thing I have that could be shaped to fit). The latch would not release. Seems the only option I have left is to remove the retaining screw from the motor

Customer:

hold a minute. I'll try with power off

Customer:

When you say disconnect power do you mean from the motor or the oven breaker?

Appliance Parts :

Oven breaker for safety

Customer:

okay, hold a minute

Appliance Parts :

Actually it maybe be pulling to left on this model.

Customer:

okay, got it open. It was left hand pull.

Customer:

how do I get the latch to return to its normal position?

Appliance Parts :

Well for some reason the valve on the latch is shorted or was last energized to stay locked by the control.
You will have to remove the latch and ohm out the valve for resistance at this point. If it checks good replace the control board main.

Customer:

Do you know know what resistance should be?

Appliance Parts :

I do not know the exact but at this point any resistance would show good on this part.

Customer:

Okay. Do you know if removing the lock lever will keep the oven from operating?

Appliance Parts :

Hold on be right back, looking at diagram. The oven may throw a code if removed from wiring.

Appliance Parts :

It is only activated in self clean, you may try taping of the ends , then reply power to see if you can get the fault door lock error to go away. The door latch switch for light if there is the only thing you could not leave unplugged.

Customer:

Tried that while you were away. The "Door" & "Locked" will not clear. Seems the motor is not getting power at this point which is probably what caused the problem in the first place.

Appliance Parts :

Then i would replace the main board if it will not reset.
Part# WB12K5008

Customer:

I think you are right. I'll have to get a local service tech her for that. It's a little out of my comfort zone.

Customer:

Thanks for your help today.

Appliance Parts :

I would do a google search for best price. The unit is made by GE. You do not have to use Sears.

Customer:

Okay, Thanks

Appliance Parts :

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.

Appliance Parts, Home Appliance Tech
Experience: Appliance tech since 1992. Factory authorized