Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a whirlpool refrigerator model KW1002172. It has lately

I have a whirlpool refrigerator model KW1002172. It has lately been icing up on the coils and the refrigerator portion fails to cool untill I defrost it then it works fine. I need to know what i should try as I am quite a ways from a city.

Optional Information:
Brand: Whirlpool
Type of Appliance: Refrigerator

Already Tried:
I have to defrost the cooling coils in the freezer to get the refrigerator to cool. I have to do this about every two weeks.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you recheck the model number ? its not comming up. please get the model number from inside the refrigerator section on either the side wall or ceiling.thanks , Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The refrigerator is 300 miles north at my ranch house. That was the model number given to just answers back in June 2012. The technician saud I needed the defrosting sensor on the coils and I replaced that. It still has the same problem. I am sure that is the model as I did a cut and paste from the original request to just answers.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Bryan Sorry, the model is
It is a model GB2SHDXTS01

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Bryan Sorry, the model is
It is a model GB2SHDXTSyou will need to remove the inside back panel inside the freezer and replace the defrost thermostat (bi-metal) thats hooked on to the coil behind the panel, the part number is W10165425which cost about $23 and you can get it at a local appliance parts dealer near you ,,, thanks

okay I found it. you were originally working with Larry on this. (unfortunately Larry passed away shortly after helping you ) Do you have a volt meter and know how to check continuity ? there are 3 things that can cause your issue. 1 the defrost thermostat which you replaced so thats not it. 2 the defrost heater. Defrost Heater Assembly 67001794 Main Product View which you can test with a meter by following this video. or 3 the control. Main Control Board 12868513 Main Product View let me know if you have a volt meter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will be at my northern nevada home this evening and i do have a meter. Where is the defrost heater located? Also, where is the circuit board in case I replace both of them

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Bryan, Sorry to hear about Larry. Where and how do I get to the defrost heater. I know how to get to the thermostat I replaced.

yes the heater is right in the freezer also. you will see it wrapped around the coils. test that and if its good replace the control. its the part you set the temps with in the refrigerator section. heres a link to that. thanks for your condolences for Larry, it was a shock. he was diabetic and I guess passed in his sleep. thanks, Bryan

I see this question is still open , Do you still need help or are you all set? If you are all set please rate me 3 or above so I get credit for helping you. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Byryan, I checked the heater wire and it had continuity. I ordered a cotrol board that will be in this week. I hope that fixes it. I would like this case to remain open until I get the problem solved if thats OK. Let me know. Thanks

yes this question will stay open,you can come back anytime and I will help further if needed, thanks , Bryan