Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a whirlpool wtw4850xq washer. I need help!

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

good evening,this is baging around as it tries to spin ? the drum banging ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, the drum bangs against the side. But it doesn't do this every time it spins. Also, when water is sounding like it's coming into the drum (can't tell b/c the lid locks) I can see water running right out the pipe that exits the washer. Additionally, it's never finished a cycle.

okay thats strange. how far up is your drain pipe ? is it above the top of the washer ? if you reach in and move the drum does it feel loose ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the drain pipe runs out the bottom of the washer and goes down a mild slope to the drain in the floor of my basement. The drain pipe never goes above the level of the hole that exits the washer. The drum is very loose if I reach in and move it-it will smash into the wall of the machine-I can even see it dent the machine wall out when I do this.

oh my, okay , one thing at a time. first you need to get the drain pipe up above the washer, the water is running right out. this needs to be up to prevent that, maybe run a pipe up and then connect the drain to that. as far as the drum goes. the whole drum assembly bangs up against the side wall ? you may have broken springs in this. I'll be back in a few minutes with some diagrams and possibly a video.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'll try to send you a video of what the washer is doing as well. Hopefully that will help. this thing won't let me attach videos, so if you can give me your actual email, then I can send a short video I just took.

give me a few minutes more. I am going to send you a video to show you how to remove the cabinet so you can take a look at the springs holding the tub. heres the video, just click this blue link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlAFQnkapLM let me know when you get the cabinet off.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So, just by raising the hose, things are working better already. However, are you concerned about that drum being so free-moving? If you aren't, maybe I'll run a cycle and see if the problem is fixed just by raising the hose.

well it could be that the water comming in all the time was throwing this off ballance bad. I guess trying it isnt going to hurt.let me know,thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will. Can I email yuou back in this program if it seems off-balance? So right now, it's spinning pretty fast and it seems totally stable. But this is odd since it can smash into the side of the cabinet so hard that it dents... Who knows. If I can, I'll email back in this program if it's still broken. Thanks!