Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have a 1 year old GE Profile microwave oven that stopped

We have a 1 year old GE Profile microwave oven that stopped heating. Everything else (fan, rotation of plate, lights) seems ok. GE Service came out and replaced the magnetron. The microwave heated water while they were there, but when used a day later, same problem, would not heat anything. This has now happened twice, i.e. magnetron for a short time.. service techs leave... unit no longer heats. What might be happening here? Thanks.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

have you had that megnetron replaced twice already ? in a year or just once?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The magnetron was initially replaced near the end of the 1st year. As I said, the microwave worked and heated water while the tech was there, and then again failed to heat anything the next day. The tech came back the following week, again replaced the magnetron and again it worked the 1st time it was used. The second time it was used, it again failed to heat anything and that is where it now stands.

okay well there are three different parts to the magnetron and heating system on this. besides the magnetron. there the high voltage diode, the high voltage capacitor, and the high voltage of these is causing the magnetron to fail. have you discussed replacing the whole microwave with them ? its probably cheaper for them and better for you. unless they are willing to replace all those parts I would push for a new microwave. they will usually work with you on that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately, they won't. We have tried several times to get the unit replaced, and have been refused each time. The retailer (Sears) told me that we needed to have the same repair done at least 3 times before they would consider replacement.

Are any of the 3 other parts you mentioned above more likely than the others to be the cause of the problem? I would at least like to be able to refer their tech (not the best in my opinion) to the most likely other potential source of the problem. Thanks.

I would say the high voltage diode is the most likely cause, the diode draws off extra power from the high voltage capacitor so that would be my guess unless they have already replaced that. if so I would go with the transformer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

no problem. good luck and well wishes, Bryan