Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

WHIRLPOOL MODEL - ED5LHAXWB02 SERIAL - S04023816 Spilled

Customer Question

WHIRLPOOL MODEL - ED5LHAXWB02 SERIAL - S04023816
Spilled a box of baking soda in front of the refridgerator door.
Left the door open for 10-20minutes. Vacuumed. Temp in Fridg was up to 55-60f. (While under Power) Opened both freezer and fridg to take bottom panel off to vacuum coils. Closed doors. Pulled fridg out and took off back cover to vacuum the compomnents. While vacuuming coils could not get all of the dust build up off coils so set the vacuum to blow from the front of the fridg to the back. (Fridge running) Then vacuumed up the rest. Put front cover back on and pushed it back in. Checked after 30 minutes on cooling temp. Fridg was still around 55f. Could feel only a little cool air coming from the top vent. Checked only a couple of times after and very little change in temp. Freezer still has ICE in ice maker and appears to be still freezing but with some frost on some glass beer mugs after over night and while the doors have been shut. The fridg is at 43f. typically its at 36-38f.
Could I of clogged the evaporator blower vents somehow? Otherwise I'm lost. Background on me..I'm very mechanically inclined and fix everything. Installed my own home AC and have CFC certs. Wiring, Plumbing, Autos, etc.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

is the condenser fan running next to the compressor ? you wouldn't have clogged the evaporator by blowing the dust out from underneath. did you put the cover back on in the back of the refrigerator after cleaning this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the fan is running...not all of the time it acts as if its cycling. Runs for a few minutes and back off. Yes the cover is back on.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay . is there a click or a buzz comming from the compressor itself about every 3-5 minutes ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No buzz or noticeable click...(meaning not sure if its a click...if so, its not very loud) sounds pretty normal when its starts up.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well the reason I ask is the fan should be running the whole time the compressor is, anytime the compressor starts the fan should also and stay running the whole time. if the compressor is stopping the fan will also. that fan should not stop when the compressor is running so its either the compressor stopping or the fan is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay my funds were stopped for your help.

So I'll need to double check but my feel is the compressor and fan come on together and stay on for a little while then shuts back off together.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay it sounds like your compressor relay is starting to fail. if the temp isnt down to the correct temp and the compressor is kicking off the relay is bad. you need to replace it. heres a link to order it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Relay-and-Overload-Kit/W10189190/1481748?modelNumber=ED5LHAXWB02
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Making sure you got this...and is it still the relay? if so, could I have damaged that while vacuuming?

(FAN & Compressor cycle every 10 minutes (10 on 10 off) The Air coming into the Fridg side seems to be not as strong, while the freezer side blows well.)

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
check the damper up in the left top corner of the refrigerator section. is it open ? here a link to the diagrams. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Whirlpool-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-ED5LHAXWB02/1198/0165000?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=ED5LHAXWB02 go to refrigerator liner parts and you will see it. let me know. also is there any frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind your food ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah the damper is not a closeable one. It stays open. So I've looked at these diagrams yesterday...is there any special feature/flap/control for the air blowing on each side(Freeze/Fridge) of the unit? and only one fan blows to both sides?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes all the cold air comes from the freezer. so its either what I said or the airflow is restricted. check the return at the bottom between the fresh food and the freezer section.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK...Kids had stuffed some vacuum packed food on the freezer side, I cleared that and feels like I have more air flowing in the fridge now. I did notice some frozen water pellets on the back near the bottom where the packages were in the freeze. Could all of the blocked air been the cause or do you think the the relay is an issue still?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like that is the issue. airflow is important and without the correct airflow circulation the refrigerator wont get down to the correct temp and the compressor will keep comming on to compensate. I believe you got it. keep it closed as much as possible and that should come down to temp. tahnks and let me know later if you wish. Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help, time and efforts Bryan.

The unit has been running now for over 25 minutes straight.

Of all things I should of known with my AC experience about blockage... you can hear some growning going on now as the unit lessons the freeze on the coils.

I'll let you know either way...do I have a time limit on this? Don't want to spend another $38 bucks.... :-)

(Todd Claver - SS123ME - HOTMAIL)

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
theres no time limit and even after you rate me you can come back if you need more help. I will be glad to go on as long as it takes at no additional charge. Smile, please rate me 3 or above however. thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bryon, the Fridge is back to its 10 minute cycling. I did order the relay and will get it on Wednesday.
The back of the freezer still has the ice pellets near the bottom above the fan vent. It ran for about 45 minutes and returned to its cycles. Temp in the fridge is still at 42-44f. I did remove a few items from the freezer to allow some better air flow.

Todd

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
can you remove the panel in the back of the freezer ? (inside) take a look at the coils and tell me what the frost pattern looks like ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll need to do that later today as I am at work.
I emptied the whole thing shut it down at 8pm and turned it back on at 3:30am today. Unit just runs continuously and fridge never goes below 43f. Its back off now. Relay? :-)
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
the back inside the freezer is off ? or behind the refrigerator ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The coils and cover is on the inside. Back is sealed.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay what did the frost pattern look like on the coils ? were they full of frost or just lightly frosted ? were all the coils frosted or just some like half ? this is important.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh sorry you missunderstood me. I did not do that and will not ba able to until later today. I'm at work.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay talk later then , thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning. I took the freezer cover off. The Coils are Horizontal. I checked the Air ducs for blockage..none noted. Turned the Unit on at 8pm and did not open the doors until 5am. The fridge was at 38f until I opened the door... it was in the mid 40's afterwards. The Unit was running at 5am and ran while I took off the back cover again and noted some frost on the bottom 2 coils. This is about a 6th of the coils. Separate note, it still feels like there is little air blowing in the fridg..not sure if this is normal or not.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
good morning,okay so the coils are frosted only partially ?not frost on some of the coils at all ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is correct. Frost only on the bottom 2 rows
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay can you watch this for the rest of the day ? actually leave it closed and check about every three hours and tell me if the rest of the coils frost at any time ? I need to know if theres frost on all at some point. can you do that ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've turned the Unit off and went to work. I can do that tomorrow. Sorry about having to Work.....got to pay the bills. :-)
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
sure. the reason I need to know is if the coils are not frosting completely and evenly across them all is this will tell us if the freon is low. I hope not. let me know tomorrow, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So my concern with that is what caused it to get low. (Leak only) Which would mean I must have, somehow damaged a line iin the back while I vacuumed. There's no Oil spots anywhere. The Unit is 3yrs old. I'm just bouncing thoughts off of you. Thx for your patience
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
That is a possibility but not very common. unless you jammed the vacuum into a coil then thats not likely. these can sometimes have a small leak and you wouldn't notice it right away, its more likely thats the case then you doing it. if you popped a hole in a coils all the freon would leak quickly. this wouldn't cool at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Much more cost involved with a leak. I got this fridg for $950.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes that is true, however this is only 3 years old and the sealed system may still be under warranty. (usually 5 years) I would find your booklet and see. this may be covered.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The coils have looked like this since 6:30am today...checked every 3 hours. (I got the relay today...have not put it in)

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
they look like they are frosted all the way are they ? its hard to tell from the picture sorry I had to go out of town yesterday.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they look normal, no specific area of heavy frost. Its holding below 40f now, but seems like it doesnt handle a load on the fridge side. Any thoughts? If its working OK now..why did this happen? Also, should I install the relay?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

it wouldn't hurt to install the relay. in fact it may solve the problem altogether. if the compressor isn't running all the time or is shutting off to soon because of the relay that may be the issue. its seems logical at this point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bryan, the refrigerator is now fixed. It was the thermostat. I replaced the control board too...probably didn't need though. I researched a bit more on the Internet and found other technicians that pointed to that immediately. Just wanted you to know.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad you got it fixed. Have a great holiday season ! thanks and best wishes, Bryan