Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

Whirlpool gas range model GW395. control panel went blank so

Whirlpool gas range model GW395. control panel went blank so I replaced it. Also replaced the high temp thermostat. Have power to range but no lights in panel or beeps when you push buttons.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem.Please allow me some time to do research and type a response to each of your posts.

The likely problem here is a in line fuse, Although these don't show up on the parts list most of the time whirlpool stoves normally have them. They are normally located behind the lower panel in the rear, they are normally in line with a wire that runs from the power cord to the control wrapped inside some insulation.

Follow the wires up the back of the unit, look for a wire the is say red then has a black insulation wrapped around it or clear, it will look something like the picture below but may be wrapped in a black insulation.

graphic

Please feel free to come back after rating me "ok service or above" or for any additional questions or assistance that may be needed.

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Please also remember that if this repair is beyond your ability I have still done my job in answering - where the problem is and how to fix it, Please be fair and rate me "ok service or above" so that I my gain credit for my time and effort.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Before I take range out and open it up from the rear I have a few more questions or statements. I replaced the high temp thermo because when tested it didn't have continuity. I by passed it momentarily to check and the squirrel cage fan turned on.

So my questions is, if this inline fuse is blown would I still have power to the fan?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what hi-limit you replaced, If it did not show continuity then it was bad, If the convection fan came on it could be that the hi limit and the in line fuse blew. The control board is what controls every operation in the oven, If the display is blank this could be one of four problems, In line fuse, door switch, one of the breakers has popped or the control board is bad. You have replaced the control board, so the problem would have to be the fuse or the breaker. I would also check the heating element, this may have blown causing the control board some damage, When you replaced the new control the heater blew the new control. But I would check for the in line fuse and the breaker first.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

"one of the breakers popped" breakers inside of the range or at the home electrical panel? If home electrical panel, cross that off the list. If breaker inside of range, where are they?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Breaker inside the panel, I had assumed you would already have checked it but I thought it worth a mention, You have no idea how many times I started breaking down ranges when I first got started only to find the breaker had popped :)

The list of things I have given you are about the only things going to cause this problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well I found the probelm. While looking for the inline fuse (which doesn't appear to exist on this model, or it is on top and under the burners?) I found what is called the "fixed thermostat" part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN I bypassed it momentarily and the panel lite up.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Great that will be the equivalent on the unit of the in line fuse, You didn't provide a full model number so I could not look it up but in my experience they don't normally show them on the parts list other then occasionally as a wire harness.

Thanks!

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.