Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I just bought a new gas dryer lp gas and converted it for lp

I just bought a new gas dryer lp gas and converted it for lp gas. Not sure if its working properly the burner lights but only for about 20 or 30 seconds then goes out. And after about 30 seconds or so relights again it keeps going through this cyle is this normal. It takes along time to dry clothes and doesnt seem to get very hot inside the dryer.
Submitted: 1 year ago via ApplianceRepair.Net.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.
It should stay on longer then that If you have wet clothes in it ,if it is empty that is about right (nothing to dry)
Do you have clothes in it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes there are wet clothes in it

OK and when you converted it you changed the oriface on the burner and converted the regulator correct?
and the vent is not restricted ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes i changed the oriface and installed a blocker in the regulator

And the vent to the outside is clear?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes the vent is clear I vacumed it out

OK and this is a brand new unit that is under warranty correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it is

OK if you open the unit up you will void the warranty .
I suspect you have a faulty thermostat 1of 3 , I recommend calling for service (under warranty)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already had to open the unit up to convert to lp gas I hope that didnt void the warranty but I will call for service. My old dryer was doing about the same thing thats why i replaced it it was 30 years old could it have anything to do with the gas my other gas appliances work fine.

It should not if all the other gas appliances work fine.
Does the dryer only have one regulator on it (in the dryer) none outside it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just the regulator on the propane tank is it common for tremostats to be bad on new dryers

I would think a thermostat before a gas valve coil , if the coil gets hot and opens up it would take more then 30 seconds to cool it back down .
So the only thing would be a thermostat . and it acts as if the high limit tstat is cycling the flame of cools down (when the dryer is running it has constant air flow across it) then closes again ,flame comes on and it does it all over again .
It does happen !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for your help I will call GE

ok good luck ,and doing the L/P convertion will NOT void warranty .
All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know.
You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me.
Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation.
If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link
and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power
so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Experience: 30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line